New Zealand High Commission Canberra, Australia

Paying tax in Australia

Tax File Number

New Zealanders working in Australia need to get a Tax File number (TFN) and pay Australian tax. Without a TFN an employer will withhold tax at the maximum rate plus the Medicare levy. Registration forms for a TFN may be obtained from the Australian Taxation Office.

For further information contact the Australian Taxation Office. People who are liable for tax in both Australia and New Zealand need to contact both the ATO and the Inland Revenue Department.

Of interest

United Nations Handbook 2015-16

United Nations Handbook

The UN Handbook is a comprehensive guide to the UN system and how it works.  Read more

Prime Minister's media release |

New Zealand wins Security Council seat

New Zealand has secured a place on the UN Security Council for 2015-16. Read the Prime Minister's media release

Registering your overseas travel made easier

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealanders travelling or living overseas, registering your travel online now made easier. Read more

Living in Australia

Information for New Zealanders about their immigration status, health entitlements, tax, qualifications and more.

Remembering World War I
100 Years On

Be part of the first World War Centenary. Read more

The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal

News about how the donations are contributing to the rebuild, ways to donate and more.