New Zealand Embassy Brasilia, Brazil
Acquisition of Citizenship
New Zealand citizenship can normally be acquired in one of three ways:
- Born in New Zealand (including the Cook Islands, Niue, Tokelau and the Ross Dependency) from 1 January 2006.
- Born in New Zealand (including the Cook Islands, Niue, Tokelau and the Ross Dependency) prior to 1 January 2006 and at least one of your parents was a New Zealand citizen or entitled to be in New Zealand indefinitely at the time of your birth. (For further information see the Changes to Citizenship by birth in New Zealand from 2006 FAQs
- A British subject resident in New Zealand during all of 1948
- Granted New Zealand citizenship.
- Born outside New Zealand to a parent who is a New Zealand citizen by birth or through grant. New Zealand Citizenship by Descent.