New Zealand Embassy Brasilia, Brazil
Lost and Stolen Passports
If your New Zealand passport has been lost or stolen please report it immediately to the local police and obtain a police report. A police report is necessary not only to apply for a replacement passport, but also for any travel insurance claims.
Be aware that most police stations in Brazil will only take reports of theft of a passport, if the incident occurred in their own precinct. However, they will direct you to the address of the appropriate police station.
Since 1 April 2004 New Zealand Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates will no longer issue full validity manual passports.
If you are travelling immediately to return to your country of residence, the New Zealand Embassy in Brasilia can issue a limited validity electronic travel document.
This document has a standard validity of one month, extendable to seven months if the applicant is required to travel through or exit a country that requires minimum six months validity remaining in the passport.
All other applications for New Zealand passports will have to be forwarded to the nearest passport issuing office. These are located in New Zealand, London and Sydney.
Further details are available on the www.safetravel.govt.nz.
For an emergency travel document you will need :
- The application form for an emergency travel document – this can be filled out at the embassy, or downloaded from the Department of Internal Affairs website,
- At least two identical passport photos. Please make sure that the person taking the photos does not cut them to size. Details on the Department of Internal Affairs website.
- Two forms of identification you have with you (credit card with photos, NZ drivers license, photocopies of passport),
- The appropriate fee, which is NZ$350.00 or R$435.00 for the Emergency Travel Document in Brazil,
- The original of the police report.
Applications can be made to replace your emergency travel document for a machine readable passport at any department of Internal Affairs issuing office in New Zealand, Sydney and London. This passport will be issued free if your application is lodged before the expiry date of the electronic travel document.
This only applies to emergency travel documents issued after 1 April 2004.
Electronic Travel Document Fee:
R$435.00 (changes 1st July every year)