New Zealand High Commission Ottawa, Canada

Student visas

Canadian and other citizens can study in New Zealand provided they apply for a student visa.

In order to apply for a visa to study in New Zealand you will need a valid offer of place which states the following:

  • course name
  • duration of course
  • fees
  • accommodation details

An application to "study in New Zealand" form should be completed and sent to this office together with the following items:

  • valid passport
  • form with 2 photographs attached
  • fee - payable by money order or certified cheque only, made payable to the New Zealand Government. This office does not accept credit card payments.
  • offer of place
  • tuition receipt
  • evidence of funds - can be provided by completing a "Financial Undertaking" form or by providing 3 months of bank statements in applicants name showing funds available
  • a copy of the front and back of a Canadian permanent residence card if non-Canadian citizen
  • a fully completed "medical and chest x-ray form" if the course is longer than 12 months
  • a local police certificate if course is longer than 24 months
  • a pre paid self addressed return courier envelope 


Of interest

United Nations Handbook 2015-16

United Nations Handbook

The UN Handbook is a comprehensive guide to the UN system and how it works.  Read more

Prime Minister's media release |

New Zealand wins Security Council seat

New Zealand has secured a place on the UN Security Council for 2015-16. Read the Prime Minister's media release

Registering your overseas travel made easier

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealanders travelling or living overseas, registering your travel online now made easier. Read more

Remembering World War I
100 Years On

Be part of the first World War Centenary. Read more

The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal

News about how the donations are contributing to the rebuild, ways to donate and more.