New Zealand High Commission Ottawa, Canada
Canadian and other citizens can work in New Zealand provided they apply for a work visa.
In order to apply for a visa to work in New Zealand, you will need a valid offer of employment from a New Zealand employer. The offer must be in writing and contain the following information:
- name, address and telephone number of the employer
- name and address of the person to whom the job is offered
a full job description stating:
- job title or designation
- the type of work, duties and responsibilites of the job
- any qualifications or training experience required
- the duration of the job
- the salary or remuneration
- how long the job offer is open
Applicants must produce evidence that they are suitably qualified by training and experience to do the job they have been offered, and that they can meet any New Zealand certification or registration requirements if these are required to carry out the job in New Zealand.
In many cases it will be necessary to confirm that the position can not be filled by a New Zealander.
An application to work in New Zealand form should be completed and sent to this office together with all items from the following checklist:
( ) Fee- payable by money order or certified cheque only - Made payable to the 'New Zealand Government'.
( ) Completed work visa application signed and dated by applicant.
( ) 2 recent passport size photographs with applicant’s name printed on the back of it.
( ) Your original passport which must be valid three months beyond the intended date of
departure from New Zealand.
( ) If the assignment in New Zealand is for less than 12 months in total then evidence of outward travel arrangements - either an open-dated return or outward air ticket to a country you have right of entry. If the assignment in New Zealand is over 12 months please provide a detailed travel itinerary, showing your arrival date in New Zealand.
( ) Non Canadian Citizens: A copy of your Canadian PR card, both front and back or a copy of your Canadian Immigration status document.
( ) An original written invitation or offer of employment which must supply the following information:
- Name, residential and mailing addresses, telephone number, facsimile number of the employer.
- Job title or designation.
- Type of work and responsibilities of the job.
- Details of maintenance, accommodation and repatriation. (If return airline ticket is not being provided
by employer, copy of itinerary or ticket must be submitted.)
- The salary offered and the hours/days of work.
- The position offered is temporary. (Must stipulate the length of stay e.g. 1 month, 6 months etc)
- and if applicable, what effort the employer in New Zealand has made to recruit local
( ) If relevant, evidence in the form of a letter from a New Zealand Immigration Service
Branch Office that the employer has met the requirements for approval to recruit a temporary worker from overseas.
( ) Evidence that you are suitably qualified to carry out the position offered. (i.e. qualifications, certificates and relevant work references.)
( ) Evidence of professional registration – if applicable for the position offered.
( ) If you intend spending more than 6 months in New Zealand and less than 12 months, you may be
asked to provide a chest X-ray report. Please refer to the instructions contained in your Work Visa
application form and Guide for Working in New Zealand.
( ) If you intend to stay in New Zealand for longer than 12 months, you are required to provide a New
Zealand Immigration Service, Medical and Chest X-ray Certificate (NZIS 1007)
( ) All applications must be accompanied by a self-addressed, prepaid courier airway bill and envelope (for example, Federal Express or Canada Post) for the safe return of your passport and original documents.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS OR CERTIFIED TRUE COPIES OF ALL THE ABOVE WILL BE ACCEPTED
FOR ALL ACCOMPANYING FAMILY MEMBERS: (Dependent Children & Partners)
• We ask that you contact this office to obtain (where appropriate) work, visitor’s or student visa
• Accompanying family members must submit their passports. (Passports must be valid at least 3 months beyond intended date of departure from New Zealand.)
• Each family member must supply sufficient evidence to prove their relationship with you. This might
include, their original or a certified true copy of their full birth certificate, adoption or full custody orders (where applicable only) your marriage certificate and/or sufficient evidence that you and your partner are living together in a genuine and stable relationship, completed ‘Application for Partnership-based Temporary Entry Form’ INZ 1146.
• If you are 17 years and older and intend spending more than 24 months in New Zealand, you are required to submit with your application a Candian Police clearance and an original Police clearance from any country you have lived in 5 or more years since attaining the age of 17.
Please note that Police clearances must be less than 6 months old when your application is lodged.
• You should not give up your house, your job, or other commitments in your home country until you have been advised by the New Zealand High Commission in Ottawa that your application has been approved.
• Incomplete visa applications sent to this office will be returned to you.
• The New Zealand High Commission is NOT responsible for any documents or passports lost in transit.
• In general, please allow up to 20 working days for your work visa to be processed. If, however, we are unable to determine whether or not you are in good health, our processing time may take up to 2 to 3 months.
• Visa application forms and information on our current Immigration Policies may be found on the New Zealand Immigration Service website at: www.immigration.govt.nz
Ottawa Visa Unit
Effective as at 1 June 2010