New Zealand High Commission Ottawa, Canada
Emergency travel documents
With effect from 1 April 2004 New Zealand Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates will no longer issue full validity manual passports or first time passports. In a genuine emergency and compassionate situations New Zealand citizens will be able to obtain an Emergency Travel Document (ETD) limited to 1 month validity for those who have previously held a New Zealand passport. The validity of a ETD can be extended up to 7 months in certain circumstances (check with this office).
All other applications for New Zealand passports will have to be forwarded to the nearest Department of Internal Affairs issuing office. These are located in New Zealand, Sydney and London. Further information, contact details and application forms are available on the Department of Internal Affairs website.
New Zealand Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates will continue to have available stocks of relevant passport application forms. Staff will also be available to assist with questions you may have about completing the forms and requisite supporting documentation.
Please note that in order to qualify for an Emergency Travel Document we will need to establish that:
- there is a genuine emergency for which you need a replacement travel document;
- there is insufficient time for you to obtain a replacement passport in Wellington or London with their 3 day urgent service; and
- you have previously held a New Zealand passport
If you do qualify for the Emergency Travel Document (ETD) you will need to submit the following:
- a completed ETD application form which can be downloaded from the Department of Internal Affairs website.
- two passport type photos, one of which has been correctly certified by the witness;
- previous passport. If your previous passport was lost or stolen you will need to submit two other pieces of identification, one of which should contain a photo;
- fee of CAN $270.00 paid by certified cheque or money order only, payable to the "New Zealand Government"; and
- return pre-paid courier envelope for the return of your documents.
Additional documentation may be required depending on the application. Before submitting any ETD application you will need to contact this office at Tel: (613) 238-5991 extension 238.