New Zealand High Commission Ottawa, Canada
By-election for new Botany member of Parliament
A Parliamentary by-election to elect the new Member of Parliament for the seat of Botany is being held on Saturday 5 March 2011. For more information about the Botany by-election click here
You can vote in the by-election if you are over 18 and enrolled in the Botany electorate and:
- are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and
- have lived in New Zealand for more than one year continuously at some time, and
- have returned to New Zealand within the last three years if you are a NZ citizen, or have returned to New Zealand within the last 12 months if you are a permanent resident.
The Botany electorate extends from Botany Downs in the north, through East Tamaki Heights to Flat Bush in the south. Its western border extends to the Tamaki River.
Information about electorate boundaries is available here
Voting opens on Wednesday 16 February 2011.
- download your voting papers from www.elections.org.nz from 16 February
- go to www.elections.org.nz and apply for postal voting papers to be sent to you
- vote in person at one of the five overseas posts with voting services (Apia, Hong Kong, London, Rarotonga, Shanghai), or at the New South Wales Electoral Commission Sydney or the Victorian Electoral Commission Melbourne from Wednesday 16 February 2011.
Voting at overseas posts will close at 4.00pm (local time) the day before election day, 4 March 2011.
If you are not voting at an overseas post, you must post or fax your voting paper back to arrive at the Electoral Commission by 7.00pm (NZ time) on Saturday 5 March 2011.
Information about the candidates for the Botany by-election is avalable here