New Zealand High Commission Ottawa, Canada
NZ General Election and Referendum Saturday 26 November 2011
The 2011 General Election and Referendum on the Voting System in New Zealand will be held on Saturday 26 November 2011. Eligible New Zealanders overseas can vote in the lead up to Election Day. To vote you must be enrolled.
Who Can Enrol and Vote
To be eligible to vote you must be:
- a New Zealand citizen and have visited New Zealand within the last three years, or
- a permanent resident of New Zealand and have visited New Zealand in the last 12 months.
How to Enrol
- Check your enrolment details at the Elections New Zealand website. You will need to be enrolled at the address you last lived in New Zealand for a month or more.
- Find out more about enrolling from overseas.
How to Vote
You can vote overseas from Wednesday 9 November 2011. To vote from overseas you can:
How to Return Your Voting Papers
- You can fax them back to the Electoral Commission +64 4 494 2300, or
- post them to the Electoral Commission, PO Box 322, Wellington 6140, New Zealand, or
- deliver them to an overseas post no later than 4pm local time on Friday 25 November. Please note that Middle East posts will close on Thursday 24 November. See the Elections New Zealand website for the full list of posts. Some posts may close earlier therefore please check the post’s closing time.
Voting papers will need to be received by the Electoral Commission in New Zealand by 7pm on Saturday 26 November (New Zealand time).
Referendum on the Voting System
More information about the Referendum on the Voting System is available online at the New Zealand Electoral Commission Referendum website.