New Zealand Embassy Santiago, Chile

Visa waiver requirements for Chileans

Requirements for Chilean citizens travelling to New Zealand under the visa waiver agreement

The visa waiver agreement between Chile and New Zealand came into force on January 1st, 1999. This agreement allows Chilean citizens to travel to New Zealand without a visa to visit New Zealand temporary for a period of up to 90 days.

Every person that intends to enter to New Zealand under this programme, at arrival must be able to provide the following:

  • A current Chilean passport valid for at least three months past the date you are to leave New Zealand.
  • A return ticket or an outward ticket to a country where they have the right to enter
  • Economic solvency sufficient to support themselves during their stay in New Zealand. The minimum required is aprox US$1000 per month to cover accommodation, maintenance, food and any other personal expenses. In case of having a pre-paid accommodation or being sponsored by New Zealand citizens or residents, the minimum required is US$400 per month. In this case it is recommended to travel with an invitation letter and/or the Sponsorship form for Visiting New Zealand completed by the sponsor in New Zealand. This form and all the instructions are available in the website
  • Evidence of accommodation arrangements/bookings
  • Evidence of sufficient funds, which includes, but is not limited to:
    • Cash
    • Travellers' cheques
    • Bank drafts
    • Recognised credit cards with sufficient credit available. We strongly suggest you to bring with you an up-to-date credit card statement.
  • Evidence of health insurance
  • Demonstrate that you are a “bona fide" applicant, whose intentions are holidaying, sightseeing, family and social visits, business consultation, medical treatment; and you are not intending to undertake employment* or a course of study or training, other than a single course of study or training that lasts no more than 3 calendar months.

Travelling with children

Single parents or other adults travelling alone with children should be aware that Chile requires notarised documentary evidence of parental or judicial authority to enable a child to leave Chile either alone, accompanied by one parent or accompanied by a third party.

If you are in New Zealand, please contact Chilean Embassy in Wellington for further information on exactly what will be required at immigration.

If you are in Chile, then a notarised authorisation will be required. This will be required by Policia de Investigaciones at the time you leave the country. More information about requirements to travel with minors in the website

In case you do not comply with the requirements listed above to travel under the visa waiver agreement, it is strongly recommended that you apply to a Visitor visa prior to your trip to New Zealand.

Requirements, application forms and more information to travel to New Zealand as a Visitor are available in

Other countries subject to the same conditions above are listed on the Immigration New Zealand website.

Office hours for visa questions and submission of applications:
Monday to Friday: 9.00am – 12pm

For further information, please write to us to:

Of interest

United Nations Handbook 2015-16

United Nations Handbook

The UN Handbook is a comprehensive guide to the UN system and how it works.  Read more

Prime Minister's media release |

New Zealand wins Security Council seat

New Zealand has secured a place on the UN Security Council for 2015-16. Read the Prime Minister's media release

Registering your overseas travel made easier

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealanders travelling or living overseas, registering your travel online now made easier. Read more

The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal

News about how the donations are contributing to the rebuild, ways to donate and more.