New Zealand Embassy Santiago, Chile

Visitor visas for partners of New Zealand citizens or residents

Visitor Visa (max. 2 years) for partners of New Zealand citizens or residents

(legally married or in an interdependent partnership akin to a marriage, whether heterosexual or same sex) Work or Student Visa holder

If you are a partner (either legally married or in an interdependent partnership akin to a marriage, whether heterosexual or same sex) of a New Zealand citizen or resident or a Work/Student Visa holder, you may be issued with a visitor's visa provided that:

  • You are in a genuine and stable partnership;
  • Your New Zealand partner intends to be in New Zealand during the same period of time applied for by you;
  • Your New Zealand partner supports the application.


If your partnership has existed for 12 months or more at the time your application is assessed, then you may be allowed up to a maximum stay of 2 years from the date of your arrival in New Zealand.

If you have been in a genuine and stable partnership for less than 12 months at the time your application is assessed, you may be granted a permit not exceeding 12 months from your date of arrival.

Further permits may be granted for up to a maximum of two years from the date of arrival if an application for residence under Family category, Partnership policy is made; or if a visa or immigration officer is satisfied that you are still living together in a genuine and stable partnership.

Minimum Requirements for Recognition of Partnerships

Partnerships will only be recognised under Partnership policy if:

  • the couple are both aged 18 years or older at the time that the application for residence was lodged, or
  • (if one or both of the parties to the partnership are aged 16 years or older but are less than 18 years of age at the time their application for residence is lodged), they have the support of the parent(s)’ or guardian(s) of that (those) party(ies), and
  • The couple have met prior to the date the application under Partnership policy is made, and
  • the couple are not close relatives. (Under Partnership policy close relatives are considered to be those relationships specified as “forbidden marriages" under Schedule 2 of the Marriage Act 1955.)
  • In support of the application you need to provide evidence that you and your New Zealand citizen or resident partner are living together in a genuine and stable relationship. Factors that have a bearing on whether two people are living together in a partnership that is genuine and stable include but are not limited to:
    • The duration of the parties relationship;
    • The existence, nature, and extent of the parties' common residence;
    • Whether or not a sexual relationship exists between the parties;
    • The degree of financial dependence or interdependence, and any arrangements for financial support, between the parties;
    • The common ownership, use, and acquisition of property by the parties;
    • The degree of commitment of the parties to a shared life;
    • Children of the partnership, including the common care and support of such children by the parties;
    • The performance of common household duties by the partners; and
    • The reputation and public aspects of the relationship. 

Partners of NZ Citizens or Residents must forward the following documents to the New Zeraland Embassy in Santiago for processing:

  • A completed Visitor Visa Application Form signed and dated by the applicant
  • Passport valid three months beyond the intended date of departure from New Zealand
  • One photo passport size with applicant’s name printed on the back
  • Evidence of the New Zealand spouse’s New Zealand citizenship or resident status, ie original passport
  • Evidence that you and your New Zealand citizen or resident spouse are living together in a genuine and stable relationship. It may include but is not limited to:
    - Marriage certificate (original or certified copies only)
    - Birth certificates for any children of the relationship
    - Correspondence between the couple
    - If the couple has been living separately for any period, evidence of the length of the periods of separation and the reasons.
  • Evidence from New Zealand partner’ financial situation (payment slips, legalised photocopy of job contract, bank statements from the last 3 months, taxes declaration, etc)
  • Letter of support stating that the New Zealand partner intends to reside with you, the applicant, in New Zealand for the same period of time.

Temporary Entry Visa or Permit

All applicants aged 17 years or over who are working, visiting or studying in New Zealand for twenty four months or longer are required to provide a police certificate. The police certificate is to be provided at the time you lodge your application unless there is a different instruction in the country-specific information (see

Applicants must supply a police certificate from any country in which they have lived for 5 years or more since attaining the age of 17 years as well as their country(ies) of citizenship, unless they can provide satisfactory evidence that they have never lived there.

Visitor Visa Fee

A) No visitors visa fee is required for holders of the following passports: Austria, Finland, Greece, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Turkey, the USA, and (the Philippines- for visits not exceeding 59 days)

B) An application fee of CH$53.000 or US$100 is required for all other passport holders.


The new payment options are available in the following link: Visa Fees and new payment options from July 2008 PAYMENT WITH CREDIT CARDS IS NOT ACCEPTED BY THIS EMBASSY

Applications received without the correct fee will not be processed

Payment in US Dollars is only available for applications from outside Chile

Important Notes

All documents submitted in support of your visa application must be originals, or certified copies unless uncertified photocopies are specifically requested.

Certified copies must be stamped or endorsed as being true copies of the originals by a person authorised by law in the applicant's country or in New Zealand to take statutory declarations (examples: a lawyer, notary public, Justice of the Peace, or court official.)

Translations: Any documents not in English must be accompanied by an English translation containing the information normally found in an equivalent New Zealand document.

Note: the Visa Officer, at his/her discretion, require applicants to provide full English translations of documents.

Translations must:

  • Not be made by an applicant's family member or a person with an interest in the outcome of the application, or an immigration adviser assisting with the application; and
  • Be certified as a correct translation made by a person familiar with both languages and competent in translation work; and
  • Be prepared and certified by a recognised private or official translation service; and
  • Be on the official letterhead of the translation service; and
  • Bear the stamp or signature of the translator; and
  • Bear the full name of the translator; and
  • Be accompanied by the original documents or certified copies.


As you are submitting passports and other valuable documents we ask that you use courier services. The New Zealand Embassy is not responsible for documents lost in transit.

Incomplete applications will be returned if the applicant does not supply missing or additional requirements within 10 working days of being notified.

Please allow a minimum of 15 working days from date of receipt at the Embassy to be processed.

For further information or inquiries, please write to us to:

To access to the New Zealand Embassy'website in spanish language, visit

September 2008

Of interest

United Nations Handbook 2015-16

United Nations Handbook

The UN Handbook is a comprehensive guide to the UN system and how it works.  Read more

Prime Minister's media release |

New Zealand wins Security Council seat

New Zealand has secured a place on the UN Security Council for 2015-16. Read the Prime Minister's media release

Registering your overseas travel made easier

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealanders travelling or living overseas, registering your travel online now made easier. Read more

The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal

News about how the donations are contributing to the rebuild, ways to donate and more.