New Zealand Embassy Beijing, China
Research Assistant and Interpreter Position - New Zealand Embassy, Beijing
The New Zealand Embassy in Beijing is looking for a skilled and enthusiastic person to join its team as a Research Officer/Interpreter. This position will work as part of the political team.
This is a new two-year locally-employed staff (LES) position beginning as soon as possible. If not based in Beijing the successful applicant will be required to pay their own return travel costs to Beijing. All accommodation, medical, taxation and other costs associated with living in China will be a personal responsibility.
- Research political and foreign policy related issues and draft information reports on them for Embassy staff.
- Liaise with governmental and non-governmental organisations on political and foreign policy related issues.
- Assist with arranging visitor programmes and calls by New Zealand officials.
- Provide accurate interpretation (Chinese/English and English/Chinese) at official meetings.
- Translate official correspondence.
- Monitor Chinese information sources and provide prompt and accurate reporting, analysis and translation regarding political and foreign policy developments in China.
Applications must include a covering letter, a curriculum vitae (resume) and a self-assessment against the following selection criteria:
- Familiar with the working environment in China, ideally with related political and foreign policy work experience, especially with the Chinese government system. Familiarity with political and foreign policy issues an advantage.
- High degree of oral and written proficiency in both Mandarin Chinese (preferably a native speaker) and English.
- Must have a high degree of proficiency in Mandarin Chinese/English translation (i.e. written) and interpretation (i.e. oral). Previous work experience involving interpretation and translation strongly preferred.
- Must hold a relevant tertiary qualification.
- Previous work experience in an Embassy environment strongly preferred but not essential.
- Demonstrate research and analytical skills.
- Well organised. Able to work independently and manage workloads to achieve objectives.
- Shows initiative and enthusiasm. Able to independently progress work on delegated tasks.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills. Able to work effectively with other team members, flexible and adaptable.
- Be a person of good character (the successful applicant will undergo a security check).
- Developed computer skills (particularly MS Word, Internet explorer etc).
- Knowledge or experience of New Zealand an advantage.
Please complete your application in English.
Please submit your application, by Wednesday 7 January 2015, via email to email@example.com.