New Zealand Embassy Beijing, China
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (English Speaking)
New Zealand Embassy, Beijing
Locally Engaged Staff / New Zealand Citizen
This is an exciting opportunity for a New Zealand citizen to work in the New Zealand Embassy in Beijing. The Executive Assistant is responsible for providing PA support to the Head of Mission (Ambassador) and administration functions to the Post to ensure the smooth and efficient operation of the office of the Ambassador.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide PA and administration services to the Ambassador, by keeping an electronic diary, arranging appointments for the Ambassador and his/her spouse and organizing their social calendar.
- Manage the Ambassador’s weekly schedule. Provide copies to the Ambassador’s spouse and relevant staff and ensure an updated copy is provided when there are changes.
- Manage and distribute incoming fax mail from the MFAT fax machine.
- Draft correspondence for the Ambassador’s signature in English and arrange accurate Chinese translation as required.
- Undertake research for the Ambassador via internet, printed material, personal enquiry or other sources.
- Organize receptions, dinners and other social events to be hosted by the Ambassador or Ambassador’s spouse, together with functions conducted on behalf of the Embassy. Tasks include liaising with residence staff, preparing guest lists, invitations, seating plans, etc in consultation with the Ambassador and/or spouse.
- In the Ambassador’s absence, provide the above services for the Charge d’Affaires.
- Support other seconded staff with secretarial and other services as time permits, or as directed by the Ambassador or Charge d’Affaires.
- Assist with the organisation of programmes for visiting Ministers, officials and other official visitors, prepare written programmes and organize attendance at events.
- Negotiate hotel rates for embassy staff and visiting delegations. Maintain a hotel contracts database. Arrange hotel bookings as requested.
- Maintain a database of useful contacts for official invitations.
- Five to six years previous successful experience in a secretarial or administration support role to a manager and/or team.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to and work within a team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective working relationships.
- Excellent Microsoft Office suite skills.
- Well-developed planning and organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks effectively and work under pressure.
- Strong customer focus, with the ability to communicate effectively with a range of people.
- Possess a strong achievement/delivery focus.
- Ability to work autonomously within stipulated guidelines.
- Demonstrated use of sound judgment.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous improvement, including adaptability and openness to change.
- Ability to anticipate issues and problems and develop creative solutions.
- Displays personal integrity and an honest and ethical approach.
- The EA must be a New Zealand Citizen and be able to obtain and maintain the required New Zealand Government security clearance.
Interested applicants should submit a CV and covering letter to email@example.com by Wednesday 19 November 2014.