New Zealand Embassy Beijing, China

For international students and families

Who to contact
The first to do is contact your place of study and talk to the international student pastoral care person.

If you cannot reach that person, or if they cannot help you, then phone 021 932 765, the Ministry of Education’s Code of Practice team.

Need accommodation
Call 0800 HELP (0800 435 700), the temporary accommodation helpline
This number is for people and/or families who need accommodation.

Tell us you’re ok
You must let us know that you are safe. Also tell us if you know about someone who is safe or missing.

Call 0800 RED CROSS (0800 733 276), the Red Cross missing persons helpline.

For calls outside New Zealand the number is +64 7 8502199.

Change study place
If the place where you have been studying, or where you planned to study, has been affected by the earthquake, you can change to another place to study.

Firstly, contact your school or institution to see if they have been affected by the earthquake. If they have, find out their immediate plans.

Some study places have been seriously damaged, so you may not be able to contact anyone.

If you cannot contact the place where you were studying or planning to study at, then contact on 021 932 765.the Ministry of Education’s Code of Practice team

You can also phone 0800 697 296, the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA).

Fee refund
If your school or institution cannot continue the course you have paid for, contact them to talk about a refund of your fees.

If you cannot contact anyone there, contact the Ministry of Education’s Code of Practice team on 021 932 765 or New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) on 0800 697 296.

If you cannot reach anyone on either of these phone numbers, call the Ministry of Education Helpline on 0800 225 580. Leave a message with:
your name and phone number
say you are an international student and want someone to phone you about a refund of fees.

You may not be able to talk to someone immediately on these numbers because we are getting many calls. Please leave your name and phone number and someone will call you back.

Immigration New Zealand has approved a six-month extension for visa applications made to Immigration New Zealand before the earthquake.

If your visa will expire, please contact Immigration New Zealand on 0508 558855, or check their website ( for the latest earthquake-related information.

If you want to leave Christchurch
Contact the Christchurch International Airport on 0800 568 369.

Family getting to Christchurch
Contact your New Zealand-based embassy. Find yours at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade

Support if you are scared
You can phone the Quake Support and Counselling Service on 0800 777 846 between 8am to 11pm every day.

Of interest

United Nations Handbook 2015-16

United Nations Handbook

The UN Handbook is a comprehensive guide to the UN system and how it works.  Read more

Prime Minister's media release |

New Zealand wins Security Council seat

New Zealand has secured a place on the UN Security Council for 2015-16. Read the Prime Minister's media release

Registering your overseas travel made easier

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealanders travelling or living overseas, registering your travel online now made easier. Read more