New Zealand Embassy Cairo, Egypt
Policy Adviser/Translator and Consular Adviser
The New Zealand Embassy has a position for a Policy Adviser/Translator and Consular Adviser.
The successful applicant will be expected to work the equivalent of 37.5 hours per week and comply with the Embassy Code of Conduct. This position will also require the person on occasion to work outside of normal business hours.
Key Tasks: The position involves the duties briefly listed below:
- Provide policy advice to the Ambassador and seconded policy staff on political and trade policy issues.
- Respond to and manage general policy and trade-related enquiries from the public, New Zealand businesses, and local government agencies.
- Report on trends and issues of interest to New Zealand, including monitoring of Arabic language media.
- Prepare written translations of documents and letters in Arabic, English, or French.
- Act as French-language interpreter and assist with Arabic-language interpretation for the Embassy and official New Zealand visitors.
- Provide consular assistance to New Zealand citizens and respond to consular enquiries.
- Develop and maintain a network of local contacts to be used in providing consular advice or in emergency situations.
- Assist the Ambassador and seconded policy staff with strengthening New Zealand’s constituency in Egypt through developing a network of key contacts in the public and private sectors and in civil society.
Selection Criteria. The successful applicant will have:
- Very good or excellent honours degree in the arts.
- Communication skills of a high standard including written and verbal fluency in English, Arabic and French.
- Excellent research skills with a high level of analytical ability. Familiarity with media and other sources of information on Egyptian politics, domestic issues and regional affairs. This includes internet research skills.
- Strong inter-personnel skills with an ability to operate effectively in a cross cultural work place.
- Ability to think creatively and communicate effectively in Egypt's new political environment.
- Ability to follow directions, solve problems, determine priorities and meet deadlines. Ability to act quickly and flexibly in response to emerging or unexpected events and adapt to changing workloads, tasks and environment. Ability to work as part of a team.
- Understanding of and commitment to information privacy, confidentiality and security principles. Ability to quickly learn and implement Embassy standards and procedures. Willingness to undergo medical security/police checks.
- Ability to use standard office computer applications such as email, databases, internet and Microsoft applications and ability to quickly learn new computer applications.
- Strong personal network with younger generation Egyptians.
- The annual salary will range between EGP 109,462 – 153,247 based on qualifications and experience.
- The Embassy also offers medical insurance and a monthly transport allowance.
Date of Commencement
- June 2013
Place of Work
New Zealand Embassy
Level 8, North Tower, Nile City Towers
2005c Corniche El Nil,
The successful candidate will be expected to commence duty no later than June 2013.
Applications (including resumes) must clearly set out your claims against each of the selection criteria above, together with the contact details of three (3) referees, should be submitted by email to, firstname.lastname@example.org or in person to the New Zealand Embassy at the address above with the subject heading:
“Vacancy – Policy Support and Translation Officer”
Note: Applications which do not clearly set out applicant claims against each selection criteria will not be considered.
Applications close at 3.00 pm on Sunday 5 May 2013.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade carries a list of all job vacancies in Wellington and at its overseas posts.