New Zealand Embassy Berlin, Germany
Vacancy: International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea
The International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea, an international court with its seat in Hamburg, Germany, has the following vacancy:
Senior Translator/Reviser (French into English or English into French) -
Head of Linguistic Services (P-5)
Functions: Under the direction and the supervision of the Registrar/Deputy Registrar, the Head of Linguistic Services ensures the efficient translation and revision of texts and documents from English into French or French into English and manages the functioning of the Linguistic Services of the Tribunal.
The incumbent is responsible, inter alia, for:
- Translating into French or English legal and judicial texts, administrative documents and other texts, including texts of a sensitive, complex or technical nature;
- Revising and editing translations, publications and other texts;
- Ensuring the efficient organization and planning of translation and interpretation requirements;
- Maintaining a list of external translators, interpreters and verbatim reporters to cover cases and sessions;
- Providing assistance and advice to the Registrar on matters relating to interpretation technology, text processing and publications;
- Supervising the work of the Tribunal’s Linguistic Services.
Qualifications and experience: At least ten years’ work experience in translation, including at least five years’ experience performing revision functions in an international organization such as international judicial bodies. A perfect command of French or English and an excellent knowledge of the other language, full computer literacy, familiarity with computer tools for translators (TRADOS), and good administrative skills. Familiarity with terminology of the law of the sea, international law and related areas would be an advantage. To have passed the United Nations competitive examination for translators would be a great advantage.
The Tribunal reserves the right to appoint a candidate at one level below the advertised post.
Remuneration: An initial two-year fixed term contract (renewable), tax-free salary with United Nations benefits and allowances.
Applications should be sent to: Chief of Administration, International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea, Am Internationalen Seegerichtshof 1, 22609 Hamburg, Germany; Fax: +49 (40) 3560 7155, or to firstname.lastname@example.org. The completed ITLOS personal history form (P11) should arrive at the Tribunal no later than 10 August 2010. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. The P11 form can be found on the Tribunal’s website at www.itlos.org