New Zealand Consulate-General Hong Kong
Travelling out of Hong Kong with your New Zealand passport
- Ensure that you have a valid passport. Most countries require that your passport has at least 6 months’ validity upon entry. Airlines or carrier agencies may not allow you to board if your passport does not have 6 months’ validity. If you intend to travel to the United States under the visa waiver programme, please ensure that your passport is machine-readable to satisfy the visa waiver requirements. If your passport is non-machine readable, you will need to apply for an entry visa before entering the United States.
- Ensure that you have a current visa for your destination/s. Contact the local Consulate of the country of destination to determine whether or not a visa is required. You will not be able to board the plane without a visa.
- Ensure that you have sufficient visa pages in your passport. Some countries’ visas take up a whole page.
- Ensure that travel documents are kept in a safe place. Ensure that the destination is safe for travel. Check the Safe Travel Website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade and click "REGISTER WITH US" on this website to register your details with the Ministry before your departure.
- Ensure that you have travel insurance.
Please also refer to the Ministry's Safe Travel Website checklist for further advice.