New Zealand Consulate-General Hong Kong
Travelling out of Hong Kong with your New Zealand passport
- Ensure that you have a valid passport. Most countries require that your passport has at least 6 months’ validity upon entry. Airlines or carrier agencies may not allow you to board if your passport does not have 6 months’ validity. If you intend to travel to the United States under the visa waiver programme, please ensure that your passport is machine-readable to satisfy the visa waiver requirements. If your passport is non-machine readable, you will need to apply for an entry visa before entering the United States.
- Ensure that you have a current visa for your destination/s. Contact the local Consulate of the country of destination to determine whether or not a visa is required. You will not be able to board the plane without a visa.
- Ensure that you have sufficient visa pages in your passport. Some countries’ visas take up a whole page.
- Ensure that travel documents are kept in a safe place. Ensure that the destination is safe for travel. Register your travel on the Safe Travel Website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade before your departure.
- Ensure that you have travel insurance.
Please also refer to the Quick checklist and tips on the Safe Travel Website for further advice.