New Zealand Consulate-General Hong Kong

Travelling out of Hong Kong with your New Zealand passport

  • Ensure that you have a valid passport. Most countries require that your passport has at least 6 months’ validity upon entry. Airlines or carrier agencies may not allow you to board if your passport does not have 6 months’ validity. If you intend to travel to the United States under the visa waiver programme, please ensure that your passport is machine-readable to satisfy the visa waiver requirements. If your passport is non-machine readable, you will need to apply for an entry visa before entering the United States.
  • Ensure that you have a current visa for your destination/s. Contact the local Consulate of the country of destination to determine whether or not a visa is required. You will not be able to board the plane without a visa.
  • Ensure that you have sufficient visa pages in your passport. Some countries’ visas take up a whole page. 
  • Ensure that travel documents are kept in a safe place. Ensure that the destination is safe for travel. Register your travel on the Safe Travel Website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade before your departure.
  • Ensure that you have travel insurance.

Please also refer to the Quick checklist and tips on the Safe Travel Website for further advice.

Of interest

United Nations Handbook 2015-16

United Nations Handbook

The UN Handbook is a comprehensive guide to the UN system and how it works.  Read more

Prime Minister's media release |

New Zealand wins Security Council seat

New Zealand has secured a place on the UN Security Council for 2015-16. Read the Prime Minister's media release

Registering your overseas travel made easier

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealanders travelling or living overseas, registering your travel online now made easier. Read more

The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal

News about how the donations are contributing to the rebuild, ways to donate and more.