Working holiday scheme for Italians
The Italian/New Zealand Working Holiday Scheme enables 1000 Italian citizens aged between 18-30 years to travel to New Zealand per annum for a working holiday of up to 12 months.
All working holiday visas are valid for entry for a 12 month period from the date of issue and are issued for multiple entry for the 12 month period from date of arrival meaning that holders can enter and exit New Zealand freely during that period.
Upon application at the time of arrival in New Zealand, a working holiday visa holder may be issued a permit allowing for a stay of up to 12 months provided they show the following:
- a return or onward travel ticket
- a minimum of €2170 for living expenses while in New Zealand
- private medical insurance including accident and hospital cover for the entire stay
Holders can stay for one year and can work for up to the entire 12 months provided they do not work for any one employer for more than 3 months. Holders may also attend a single course of study for up to 3 months.
There are lots of opportunities to work in a variety of sectors such as horticulture or service industries or to gain experience in your particular area of skill. It is possible to travel around New Zealand for employment so that you both experience what New Zealand has to offer and work at the same time.
At the end of your working holiday experience, it is a straight forward process to obtain a work permit to remain in New Zealand or to go onto further study in New Zealand.
Holders have no access to social welfare benefits.
Who can apply?
To be eligible for a working holiday visa, you must:
- Be an Italian citizen in possession of a valid Italian passport or travel document
- Be aged between 18 and 30 (both inclusive) at time of application
- Not be accompanied by any children
- Satisfy Immigration NZ that the primary intention is to holiday in New Zealand, with work being incidental
How to apply?
Applications may be made:
- Online from anywhere in the world
- In exceptional circumstances, manually, if applicants are unable to carry out the online procedure and are in Italy, via the NZ Embassy Rome on receipt of the following:
- A completed application form for a working holiday visa signed by the applicant
- A valid passport or travel document for each person included in the application (valid for at least 3 months beyond the date you plan to leave New Zealand)
- The fees – the cost of processing a working holiday visa is Euro 70 to be paid only by a bank draft made out to New Zealand Embassy (in Italy this is an “assegno circolare") or in person by cash (please do not send cash through the post). Credit cards, postal orders and personal cheques are not accepted. If you do not plan to collect your documents in person, you must also send a second bank draft, for the cost of the courier to return your documents, of Euro 22 for within Italy
If applicants are successful they will be issued either:
- An electronically generated online visa
- In the case of manual issue, a visa in their passports
For information on health requirements, click here.
Have an immigration query? Click here to ask a question or call +64 9 914 4100 (operator available 7 am to 7 pm (New Zealand time) Monday to Friday, excluding most New Zealand public holidays - standard overseas call charges apply).