New Zealand Embassy Tokyo, Japan
Although the Embassy cannot provide financial support for New Zealand-related events, we are able to provide nominal support (koen) for events with a direct connection to New Zealand if they meet certain criteria.
Nominal support may take the form of:
- authorisation to refer publicly to the Embassy’s acknowledgement of a specific project or event
- authorisation to use the Embassy logo in publicity or information material related to the agreed project or event
- a letter from the Embassy stating nominal support for the agreed project or event for use in its promotion
Use of Nominal Support
Nominal support is to be used only for the specific project or event for which it is granted and only in the manner stipulated in the request and subsequent response.
Any change in the nature, purpose or content of the project or event or the manner in which nominal support is to be used must be notified to the Embassy and may result in the withdrawal of nominal support.
Nominal support will only be granted to projects or events with a strong connection to New Zealand and should usually have the involvement of a reputable New Zealand partner agency in their organisation.
Nominal support will not normally be extended to any projects or events of a commercial, religious or political nature.
Nominal support refers only to the Embassy’s acknowledgement of the project or event stipulated. It will not be used for other activities following the completion of the project or event.
Organisations or individuals participating in projects or events granted nominal support by the Embassy will take care to ensure that:
- there is no misrepresentation of official New Zealand Government policies or views
- the project or event is not used for the generation of commercial profit for any individual or organisation in any way not agreed to at the time of the grant of nominal support
- the project or event does not entail any activities or material that are illegal, offensive or otherwise unsuitable for association with the Embassy or the furtherance of friendly bilateral relations between New Zealand and Japan
Acceptance of Guidelines Governing Nominal Support
It is understood that in cases where nominal support is granted by the Embassy, the applicant has read these guidelines and any specific conditions attached to the grant of nominal support and has acknowledged this in a signed letter to the Embassy accepting these guidelines and conditions.
Withdrawal of Nominal Support
Nominal support by the Embassy is granted at the Embassy’s absolute discretion and the Embassy reserves the right to withdraw a grant of nominal support at any time and to advertise this withdrawal publicly.
Any use of the nominal support of the Embassy for events or activities other than those stipulated and agreed to will lead to withdrawal of that nominal support.
To apply online, see below. You must provide all of the information requested and submit the application at least one month before your event.