New Zealand Embassy Tokyo, Japan
Important Note: From 16 October 2012, the receiving office for new applications and enquiries in relation to New Zealand visas for people applying from Japan is changing. For details, see here.
Travel to New Zealand as a visitor is permitted if the purpose is:
- family and social visits
- amateur sport
- business consultation
- medical treatment
and you are not intending to undertake employment.
Visitor visa holders may study one or more courses for up to three months in total at a NZ school(s) (incl. primary, secondary, etc) in each consecutive 12-month period.
Japanese citizens do not require a Visitor Visa to visit New Zealand for a stay of less than three months.
Processing Times: Applications usually take up to 5 weeks from the date all documentation is received. However, we cannot guarantee that every case will be finalised within 5 weeks as further processing may be required.
Notice: English translations must be submitted with all supporting documents.
Visitor Visa Requirements
Application form: Visitor Visa Application (INZ1017) (PDF file) - please submit all pages.
** Chinese citizen - Please complete INZ1027 Supplementary Application Form for Chinese
Visitors, Workers and Students.
** Fiji citizen – Please complete INZ1139 Supplementary Form for Fiji Citizen.
Application fee: ￥11,000 Only cash is accepted. If applying by post, send the exact amount by cash registered post as well.
For nationals of Fiji, Samoa, or Tonga, the fee is ￥8,700.
For nationals of Austria, Finland, Greece, Iceland, Israel, Italy Japan, Mexico, Russia, Turkey and the USA the application fee is waived.
The application fee is waived for Philippine nationals for visits not exceeding 59 days.
Passport: Passports must be valid for a minimum period of three months beyond the holder’s proposed date of departure from New Zealand.
Please submit the passport you used to enter Japan for the first time, all passports held since, as well as your current passport.
- Two passport-size photograph: Attach two passport-size photographs of yourself. The passports must be less than six months old. Write your full name on the back of each photograph.
- Re-entry permit to Japan: Those who intend to return to Japan require a valid re-entry permit for Japan.
- Resident card (copy), or evidence of residency in Japan
- Family List in English: List of your family (parents, brothers, sisters, wife/partner, children) stating their names (underline surname); date of birth; country of residence; nationality; relation to you, together with copies of their passports and copy of resident card or evidence of residency if they reside in Japan.
- Reason for travel: Please submit an itinerary and separate letter detailing the reason(s) of travel to New Zealand. If travelling to New Zealand for business, please provide a support letter from your company in Japan and a letter of invitation from the company you plan to visit in New Zealand. If you have any family, relatives or friends in New Zealand, please list their name and date of birth.
Evidence of your current occupation:
If you are currently employed in Japan, submit a certificate of employment stating details of your employment (date of employment, your position, approval of leave etc).
If you are a director of a company, please provide evidence of your company's registration in Japan.
If you are an exporter, please provide copies of recent Bill of Ladings (B/L).
If you are a student, please provide a certificate of enrolment from your school.
Air-ticket: Evidence of either a) a return flight to Japan or b) an onward flight to a destination/country you have the right to enter (these documents will be requested upon approval of your application).
A completed Sponsorship Form for Temporary Entry (INZ1025) (PDF file) may be submitted in place of evidence of onward travel.
We strongly suggest that you do not pay for your tickets until you receive notification of the result of your application.
- Acceptable evidence of funds. Applicants must show evidence of having sufficient funds (NZ$1000 per month or NZ$400 if accommodation has been prepaid) for their intended stay in New Zealand. Acceptable evidence of funds includes cash, traveller's cheques, bank drafts, recognised credit cards with sufficient credit available, bank statements. However we request that you also submit a bank statement or a copy of your bankbook, showing transactions for a minimum of 3 months in order to determine your financial status in Japan.
- A completed Sponsorship Form for Temporary Entry (INZ1025) (PDF file) may be submitted in place of evidence of sufficient funds.
- Stamped self-addressed envelope: Please enclose a stamped self-addressed envelope, (*¥510 postage, or *¥780 for express mail) if you require your passport to be returned by mail. (* - up to 50g). The size of the stamped self-addressed envelope should be just large enough to fit your passport.
Please note that submitting the above documents does not guarantee a visa.
Applicants may be requested to present further documents and/or attend an interview.
Application forms can be downloaded from www.immigration.govt.nz
For further information, please visit the above Immigration New Zealand website.
Visa Section (Office Hours: 9:30 – 11:30, Mon. to Fri.)
New Zealand Embassy
Tel (03) 3467-2270, Fax (03) 3467-2278
20 August 2012