New Zealand Embassy Tokyo, Japan

Notification for parents with children of Japanese nationality – change to rules for passport application

For a minor (under 20 years of age) of Japanese nationality to obtain a passport, the consent of only one parent/guardian is necessary.

The Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs has now introduced a system whereby the other parent/guardian can submit a written refusal to passport offices in Japan, or to Japanese Embassies/Consulates-General overseas so that the consent of BOTH parents/guardians is required.

In order for the passport to the minor to be issued, the parent/guardian who submitted the written refusal will need to submit a letter of agreement. Please see the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for more details. Parents encountering child custody issues within Japan are advised to consult a family lawyer for guidance (see here for a list of lawyers).

Of interest

United Nations Handbook 2015-16

United Nations Handbook

The UN Handbook is a comprehensive guide to the UN system and how it works.  Read more

Prime Minister's media release |

New Zealand wins Security Council seat

New Zealand has secured a place on the UN Security Council for 2015-16. Read the Prime Minister's media release

Registering your overseas travel made easier

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealanders travelling or living overseas, registering your travel online now made easier. Read more

Sister cities

Sister cities

Sister city and friendly city links. Read more

The official travel New Zealand website

The official travel New Zealand website

The hardest part of planning your holiday will be deciding which to do first! Read more