New Zealand Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Korea Working Holiday Scheme

1800 places are available annually under this scheme to young citizens of Republic of Korea for a stay of 12 months in New Zealand. The scheme runs from April each year.

To be eligible, you must:
- have a passport from the Republic of Korea that‘s valid for at least three months after your planned departure from New Zealand
- be at least 18 and not more than 30 years old
- not bring children with you
- hold a return ticket or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket*
- have a minimum of NZ$4,200 available funds to meet your living costs while you’re here
- meet our health and character requirements
- hold medical and comprehensive hospitalisation insurance for the length of your stay
- be coming to New Zealand to holiday, with work or study being secondary intentions for your visit
- not have been approved a visa or permit under a Working Holiday Scheme before.

If you are already in New Zealand you also need to hold a valid temporary visa.
*You are required to hold sufficient funds for the duration of your visit and for the purchase of an outward ticket from New Zealand. Such evidence may be requested on arrival at the border.

Health requirements: You will need to meet our health requirements for a temporary stay in New Zealand.

Important note for online applicants: Our Working Holiday Schemes Online system will tell you whether you need to send us a completed Medical and/or X-ray Certificate, and, if so, how to do it, when you submit your online application. This is based on the maximum length of stay that you are allowed under your country's Working Holiday Scheme (not your intended stay), along with your responses to our health requirements questions.

Character requirements: You will need to meet our character requirements for temporary entry to New Zealand.

When you are here
- you must not take up permanent employment (unless you apply for and are granted an ordinary work visa while you’re here)
- you must not work for the same employer for more than three months
- you can enrol in one or more courses of training or study of up to three months’ duration in total during your visit.

Please note: New Zealand law prohibits any person on a temporary visa, including a working holiday scheme work visa, from providing commercial sexual services, or operating or investing in a business which provides such services.

Tax: Like all New Zealand workers, you will need an IRD number so that your employer can deduct tax from your earnings at the correct rate. In New Zealand, you pay tax on a pay as you earn (PAYE) basis. This means that there should not be a large refund or an amount to pay when you leave. For more information see Inland Revenue's Travelling to New Zealand webpage.

For more information, please refer to Immigration New Zealand at

Of interest

United Nations Handbook 2015-16

United Nations Handbook

The UN Handbook is a comprehensive guide to the UN system and how it works.  Read more

Prime Minister's media release |

New Zealand wins Security Council seat

New Zealand has secured a place on the UN Security Council for 2015-16. Read the Prime Minister's media release

Registering your overseas travel made easier

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealanders travelling or living overseas, registering your travel online now made easier. Read more

Korea Update, Embassy's Quarterly Publication

Korea Update is a quarterly newsletter keeping you informed with what is happening in the land of the morning calm. Read more

The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal

News about how the donations are contributing to the rebuild, ways to donate and more.