New Zealand Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Visitor Visa

If you are visiting New Zealand for a holiday, to visit family, or for short business purposes, you need a Visitor’s Visa unless you are a citizen of a country which has a visa waiver agreement with New Zealand (Refer to Visitor Visa Guide INZ1018). Under general visitor instructions, visitor must not have been in New Zealand for more than nine months in the last 18 months.

Business visitors can travel to New Zealand on a Visitor’s Visa for up to 3 months in any one year. Business visitors wishing to stay longer than 3 months should apply for a Work Visa. Visitor visa holders must not undertake short course(s) of study or training in New Zealand more than 3 months’ duration. The Visitor Visa Application form is available at the Embassy or you can download it from the Immigration New Zealand (INZ) website > Forms and guides. You can get further information from INZ website > Immigration Instructions.

Any temporary entry visa applications from foreign nationals maybe forwarded to INZ Hong Kong branch for processing when submitted at this office. If you forward your application directly to Hong Kong office, payment must be made in Hong Kong Dollars 

Lodging Your Application

  • Completed and signed application form. You may submit either:
    • A Visitor’s Visa Application form (INZ 1017) or
    • A Tourist/Business Visitor Visa Application form (INZ1189). Use this form if you intend to visit New Zealand for less than 6 months for tourism (holiday or visiting family/friends) or business purpose. You must be able to provide your own funds or your employer is sponsoring your visit.  
  • Photograph Two recent passport sized photographs.
  • Application Fee in Korean won must be paid by Cash; Cashier’s cheque or Korean vouchers issued by the Korean Post Office (refer to Visa Fees). Please note that fees are subject to change without prior notice.
  • Passport Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the date you intend to depart New Zealand.
  • For non-Korean nationals, original and copy of evidence of residence status in the country where you are currently residing (work, student, dependant or long-term visit pass, permanent residence, etc) AND
    Certificate of the Facts of Alien Registration (외국인 등록 사실 증명서) issued from a Korean Immigration Office.
    • Certificate of the Facts Concerning the Entry & Exit (출입국에 관한 사실 증명서) issued from a Korean Immigration Office. 

For business purpose, please provide:

  • A letter from your employer confirming your business trip to New Zealand and whether your employer will be responsible for your expenses. Otherwise, please provide your bank statement for the last 6 months. AND
  • A letter of invitation from the New Zealand Company.

Evidence of funds

  • For holiday purpose, please provide funds of NZ$1,000 per person per month or NZ$400 per month and evidence of prepaid accommodation. Bank statements for the last 6 months in your name or a letter from the bank stating the balance amount in your account, OR
  • A Sponsorship Form for Temporary Entry INZ1025 fully completed in English and signed by your sponsor who must provide written undertakings for the maintenance, accommodation, and cost of deportation or repatriation of the applicant and meet any other sponsorship requirements specified in the relevant immigration instructions (if any), AND
  • If you are employed, a letter from your employer stating the position you hold, your length of employment, monthly salary and leave approval dates granted. OR
  • If you are a student, a letter from your school stating the course you are attending, start and end date of your course and leave approval dates granted.
  • If you are travelling with your partner and children, please provide original and copy of the marriage certificate and children’s birth certificates. If family members are accompanying an applicant on a business trip, they have to submit a separate visa application form. Children under the age of 16 years travelling alone or with only 1 parent must provide a written letter of consent from either parents or the other parent who is not travelling together and the children’s birth certificate.
  • Copy of your travel booking. Please do not purchase your air ticket (s) until a decision is made on your visa application.
  • Letter of leave from the Employer/ School
  • If you are employed, a letter of leave from your employer on original company letterhead including phone and fax contact numbers stating the position you hold, your length of employment, monthly salary and leave approval dates granted.
  • If you are a student, a letter from your school stating the course you are attending, start and end date of your course and leave approval dates granted.

Additional documents (where applicable)

  • Employment history with employment references.
  • Covering Letter stating your purpose of visiting New Zealand with supporting evidences. If you are visiting your family members in NZ,
  • please provide their details, such as legal status in NZ, full contact address and phone
  • If you are self-employed, Certificate of Business Registration, Income Certificate from the National Tax Office, Statement from the
  • business conducted and the number of employees, notarised articles of association listing all shareholders, percentage of stock held,
  • and positions held, etc. Original stamped bank documents showing daily business transactions for the last 12 .Résumé including your
  • employment history with employment references
  • Any other document or evidences.

Health requirement

  • If your stay is more than 6 months but less than 12 months – submit a Chest X-ray Certificate INZ1096.
  • If your stay is more than 12 months – submit a General Medical Certificate INZ1007and a Chest X-ray Certificate INZ1096.
  • The chest x-ray film is NOT required if your X-ray results are normal.
  • Children under 11 years of age and pregnant women are not required to have an x-ray.
  • The certificate must be less than 3 months old at time your application is submitted. Please refer to our website for an approved list of panel doctor doctors and radiologists who can complete your certificate.
  • If you have spent 6 consecutive months in one or more of the countries not on the list of places with a low incidence of TB (refer Health Requirements INZ1121) since your previous application, you must submit a Chest X-ray Certificate INZ 1096.

Police Certificates are required if you are aged 17 years and above intending to stay in New Zealand for 24 months or longer.

  • From your country of citizenship, and
  • Any country in which you lived for 5 years or more since the age of 17 years.
  • Police Certificate must be less than 6 months old at time your application is submitted. Korean police certificate obtained in Korea must be accompanied with an official English translation and notarisation. Self-translation is not accepted.
  • For Parent/Grandparent category: please provide sponsorship form INZ1025, evidence of relationship and a General Medical Certificate INZ1007 and a Chest X-ray Certificate INZ1096.
  • If family members are accompanying an applicant holding Guardian Visa, they have to submit a separate visa application.

Important Notes

  1. You can bring in, or mail the fully completed application and correct fee to the Embassy.
  2. Your application may not be accepted if you do not answer all the relevant questions or provide all the required documentation.
  3. Lodging a New Zealand visa application with all requested documents does not guarantee your visa will be approved.
  4. Application fees are non- refundable.
  5. All documents submitted in support of your application must be originals or copies certified by an authorised person by law to take statutory declarations.
  6. Original documents supplied must be in English or attach with official English translation certified by a recognised translation service. Please also submit photocopies of the document.
  7. If you had any immigration problem while staying overseas, you should submit a written explanation on lodgement of your application.
  8. All applicants are obliged to notify any significant change that occurs during processing of the application, including after visa is granted. (eg. Change of travel plan)
  9. Immigration New Zealand reserves the right to request additional information/or attend an interview in the course of assessing an application and to retain information and documents on file.

10. All information provided in support of your application will be subject to verification. If you provide false or misleading information your
      application may be declined.

11. We will assess whether you are likely to be a genuine visitor. Once a decision is made, there is no appeal right.

12. In some circumstances, your application may be forwarded to the receiving office for your country.

13. Processing Duration: 5 to 10 working days, unless there are circumstances which require further verification, or your application is
      forwarded to Hong Kong office for processing, a decision could therefore take 4-6 weeks. Applications submitted without the required  
      documents will take longer to process. Please do not purchase an airline ticket before you obtain a visa.

14. If you are granted a visa you must arrive within the validity of the visa. If you are unable to arrive within the validity date of your visa, 
      you must lodge a new application as your visa may have been expired.

15. You must leave New Zealand before the expiry of your visa or face deportation.

Of interest

United Nations Handbook 2015-16

United Nations Handbook

The UN Handbook is a comprehensive guide to the UN system and how it works.  Read more

Prime Minister's media release |

New Zealand wins Security Council seat

New Zealand has secured a place on the UN Security Council for 2015-16. Read the Prime Minister's media release

Registering your overseas travel made easier

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealanders travelling or living overseas, registering your travel online now made easier. Read more

Korea Update, Embassy's Quarterly Publication

Korea Update is a quarterly newsletter keeping you informed with what is happening in the land of the morning calm. Read more

The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal

News about how the donations are contributing to the rebuild, ways to donate and more.