New Zealand Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Getting Married in Korea

A marriage registered in Korea is legally valid in New Zealand. There is no legal obligation for you to have your overseas marriage registered in both New Zealand and Korea.

Step-by-Step Guide to Register A Marriage in Korea

(The procedure applies both to a New Zealand citizen marrying another New Zealand citizen, or a New Zealand citizen marrying a non-New Zealand citizen in the Republic of Korea.)

Step 1 - Application for a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage

The person intending to get married outside New Zealand must complete and sign the form BDM189: Application for a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage.

This Form can be obtained from the Embassy or can be downloaded from the Department of Internal Affairs. Completed forms must be submitted to the Embassy with a fee of NZ$122.60 (KRW 100,000; subject to exchange rate).

The Embassy will then forward the completed BDM 189 to the Birth, Death and Marriages Office in New Zealand. Once approved, the Registrar-General will issue a Certificate of No Impediment. The Embassy will contact the applicant upon receipt of the certificate.

Note: A certificate cannot be legally issued less than 14 days from the date of receipt of the notice.

Step 2 - Affidavit of Eligibility for Marriage

A New Zealand citizen will need to visit the Embassy and complete the Affidavit of Eligibility for Marriage form. (The form is available from the Embassy). The New Zealand citizen should sign and date the Affidavit of Eligibility for Marriage form in the presence of the New Zealand Consul. The Consul will then sign and affix the Embassy seal on the document. The fee for the process is KRW 73,000. The New Zealand citizen should bring his/her passport to the Embassy.

Step 3 - Marriage Registration at the Korean Ward (Gu) office

The couple should submit the Affidavit of Eligibility for Marriage notarised by the embassy to the Public Service section of the Ward office (Gu office) to register their marriage. The couple should bring their proof of identity documents with them, i.e. valid New Zealand passport for a New Zealand citizen and Korean ID card for a Korean national.

Once a marriage registration has been completed, the following documents (in Korean only) could be obtained from the Korean Ward (Gu) office:

  1. Filing Receipt - document to simply prove that the applicants' marriage report has been accepted (issued at desk).
  2. Korean Marriage Certificate (family register) - issued when the marriage is between a Korean citizen and a foreigner (7 days required).
  3. Verification Certificate (document that has similar effect as the Korean Marriage Certificate) - issued when the marriage couple are both foreigners (3 to 5 days required).

Of interest

United Nations Handbook 2015-16

United Nations Handbook

The UN Handbook is a comprehensive guide to the UN system and how it works.  Read more

Prime Minister's media release |

New Zealand wins Security Council seat

New Zealand has secured a place on the UN Security Council for 2015-16. Read the Prime Minister's media release

Registering your overseas travel made easier

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealanders travelling or living overseas, registering your travel online now made easier. Read more

Korea Update, Embassy's Quarterly Publication

Korea Update is a quarterly newsletter keeping you informed with what is happening in the land of the morning calm. Read more

The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal

News about how the donations are contributing to the rebuild, ways to donate and more.