New Zealand High Commission Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
New Immigration Act
The Immigration Act 2009 comes into effect from 29 November 2010. It does not make major changes to the criteria under which people apply to travel to and stay in New Zealand.
Immigration New Zealand's forms and guides have been updated in line with the Immigration Act 2009. The forms and guides are available to download now, but can only be used for applications lodged on and after 29 November 2010.
Key changes are in the following areas:
- Terminology changes
- A new sponsorship system
- Returning residents’ visas
- ‘Endorsements’ for New Zealand citizen foreign passports
- Streamlining appeals
- A new classified information system with special safeguards
- Streamlining the deportation process
- Compliance, detention and monitoring
- Biometrics and information sharing
- Employer obligations Education
- Interim visas
Visit the Immigration New Zealand website for details.