New Zealand Embassy The Hague, The Netherlands

Marrying in the Netherlands

Anyone wanting to marry in the Netherlands is advised to check with the local town hall (Gemeentehuis) as to what documentation is required. Contact details for Gemeentehuis are in the telephone book.

Usually an authenticated Birth Certificate and a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage are needed and authenticated documents confirming the dissolution of any previous marriage.

For information about obtaining a copy of your New Zealand Birth Certificate please refer to the section 'Obtaining a NZ Birth, Death, Marriage or Civil Union Certificate' on the right hand navigation bar. This section also provides information on getting the Birth Certificate authenticated.

The Department of Internal Affairs can issue a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage.

The Department of Internal Affairs website provides comprehensive information about how you apply for this Certificate, the applicable fees and how long it will take. You are also able to download the required BDM 189 form from this website.

For papers relating to a divorce in New Zealand, please contact your solicitor or the Family Court in which the divorce was completed. For a list of Family Courts please click here.

Of interest

United Nations Handbook 2015-16

United Nations Handbook

The UN Handbook is a comprehensive guide to the UN system and how it works.  Read more

Prime Minister's media release |

New Zealand wins Security Council seat

New Zealand has secured a place on the UN Security Council for 2015-16. Read the Prime Minister's media release

Registering your overseas travel made easier

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealanders travelling or living overseas, registering your travel online now made easier. Read more

The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal

News about how the donations are contributing to the rebuild, ways to donate and more.