New Zealand Embassy Manila, The Philippines
Experience New Zealand in 2010
The very best of what New Zealand has to offer to foreign visitors will be on show in Manila in February, and there are also events for New Zealanders living here.
The New Zealand embassy will host “Experience New Zealand” in the first week of February, aiming to show Filipinos the amazing sights, sounds and opportunities that are available in the country also known as Aotearoa.
The showpiece event of the week will be an evening reception at the Sofitel Philippine Plaza. The evening will feature the singing talents of Toni Huata and Karl Teariki, as well as best of New Zealand food and wine.
Tourism New Zealand will play a major role in the showpiece evening, giving invited guests the opportunity to get a sneak peek at what New Zealand has to offer. New Zealand’s pristine mountain ranges, world class golf courses, active geothermal areas and Maori cultural performances will surely tempt many of them into making the trip south.
The Sofitel Philippine Plaza will also host a week-long New Zealand food fair in the first week of February, featuring some special appearances by Toni Huata and Karl Teariki.
Other events during the week will include a three-day trade fair featuring products and services from New Zealand businesses, and a promotion of New Zealand boutique cheeses hosted by the Cheese Club of the Philippines.
The Philippines New Zealand Business Council will host a golf tournament on 5 February, and the New Zealand expatriate community will also be invited to get into the act, with a joint Australia-New Zealand community barbeque (Oztangi Day) to be arranged by the Australia New Zealand Chamber of Commerce and the two embassies on 31 January, also at the Sofitel. Karl Teariki will be performing at Oztangi Day.
Calendar of public events for Experience New Zealand 2010
- Sunday 31 January - Oztangi Day, Sofitel Philippine Plaza, Manila; 4pm start.
- Monday 1 to Sunday 7 February - New Zealand food and wine festival, Spiral Restaurant, Sofitel Philippine Plaza.
- Monday 1 to Wednesday 3 February - Toni Huata and Karl Teariki perform in the evenings at Le Bar lobby lounge, Sofitel Philippine Plaza.
- Wednesday 3 February - Cheese Club of the Philippines’ New Zealand night (in conjunction with New Zealand Embassy), Manila Polo Club.
- Friday 5 February to Sunday 7 February - ‘Experience New Zealand’ trade fair, SM Mall of Asia atrium.
- Friday 5 February - Waitangi Golf Tournament, Villamor Golf Club, Pasay City.
Experience New Zealand is made possible by the support of the New Zealand Government through the Ministry of Culture and Heritage’s Cultural Diplomacy International Programme