New Zealand General Election
The next General Election will be held in New Zealand on Saturday 20 September 2014.
Who can enrol and vote?
- You are eligible to enrol and vote if you:
- are 18 years or older, and
- have lived in New Zealand for more than one year continuously at some time in your life, and
- are a New Zealand citizen who has been in New Zealand at any point in the past three years, or
- are a permanent resident of New Zealand who has been in New Zealand at any point in the past 12 months.
(NB: There are exceptions to these time limits for certain people and their families, such as members of the New Zealand Defence Force or New Zealand diplomats or trade representatives.)
How to Enrol
Check or update your enrolment details here. You will need to be enrolled at the address at which you last lived in New Zealand for one month or more.
How to Vote
You can vote from overseas from 3 September 2014. You can obtain your voting papers in one of the following ways:
Download your voting papers
If you are overseas and are on the published electoral roll you will be able to download your voting papers. This is the quickest and easiest way to obtain your voting papers. The voting papers will be available for download from 3 September 2014 at www.elections.org.nz.
Apply for a postal vote
You can apply to have voting papers posted to you by contacting the Electoral Commission. These are normally sent from New Zealand approximately three weeks before Election Day.
Vote in person at an overseas post
Voting at the New Zealand High Commission will begin on Wednesday 3 September 2014 and finishes on Friday 19 September.
Please note that, in addition to obtaining voting papers online, and returning them to the Electoral Commission by post or fax or courier, you can also obtain voting papers and return your vote in person at the New Zealand High Commission in Apia. A voting facility will be available at the following times at the New Zealand High Commission on Beach Road.
- Wednesday 3rd to Friday 5th September, 8.30am to 4 pm
- Monday 8th to Friday 12th September, 8.30am to 4 pm
- Monday 15th to Friday 19th September, 8.30am to 4 pm
It is not possible to obtain voting papers in person or to lodge voting papers at the New Zealand High Commission outside of these opening hours. In particular, requests for assistance or information, or lodgement of voting papers, cannot be accepted after 4.00 pm on Friday 19th September.