New Zealand High Commission Singapore
Working Holiday Scheme for Singapore Citizens
Under this programme, a maximum of 200 participants may be granted work visas or work permits in each calendar year. The 200 places under the scheme are on a first come first served basis.
This programme is open to any Singapore student registered with a Singapore university or polytechnic who wishes to gain work experience in New Zealand before completing their course of study in Singapore. The students permitted to work in New Zealand are:
(a) Participants on an agreed exchange between their university or polytechnic in Singapore and a New Zealand university or polytechnic; or
(b) Students arranging their own employment by applying directly to a New Zealand employer. It is not necessary to have a job offer prior to going to New Zealand.
This programme is open to recent graduates of Singapore universities and polytechnics under the same conditions as for undergraduates. Graduates qualify for the program for a period of up to 3 years from the date of their graduation.
- Work Visas, once issued, are valid for travel for a three month period and allow a maximum stay of six months in New Zealand.
- Applicants must be Singapore citizens. Spouses, partners and dependent children are not permitted to accompany applicants.
- Applicants must not have a criminal record.
- Applicants must have a comprehensive health insurance for the time they wish to be in New Zealand.
- Applicants must have sufficient funds to purchase a return ticket and a minimum of S$2250 as available funds for maintenance (this only applies if you are arranging your own employment in New Zealand).
Preparing your application:
To process your application we need:
- your passport
- a completed Working Holiday Scheme application form stating that you are applying for a work visa under the Singapore/New Zealand Work Exchange Programme
- student card or evidence of your qualification
- the application fee.
If you have ever been sentenced for any offence, or refused a visa or entry to any country, you must declare this when you apply for your work visa or work permit. If you fail to declare convictions or previous visa refusals, or arrive with insufficient funds and no return ticket, you will be refused entry to New Zealand on arrival - even if you hold a visa.
Lodging your application:
If living in Singapore
Your application may be submitted in person or via mail/courier to:
New Zealand Immigration Service
391A Orchard Road, #15-05
Ngee Ann City, Tower A
Your application should be accompanied by the application fee. Cheque payments should be international bank draft, in Singapore dollars, and be made payable to the "New Zealand Immigration Service". Application fees may also be paid in cash or by Mastercard or Visa.
Lodgement hours for applications are 9.00am to 3.00pm; Monday to Friday.
If living anywhere else in the world outside New Zealand
Contact the nearest NZIS Office for the country you are living in to check whether there are places available in the scheme, and for details of the application requirements. If places are available you will need to:
Complete the Working Holiday Scheme application form and send it to the Visa Officer together with your passport, the application fee and any other evidence requested by the Visa Officer.
If applying in New Zealand
Working holiday scheme applicants applying under the Singapore/New Zealand Work Exchange Programme may apply at any NZIS branch in New Zealand providing that they:
- apply on the form Application to Work in New Zealand
- are the holder of a student or visitor permit,
- have been in New Zealand for 12 months or less; and
- meet the general conditions of the Singapore/New Zealand Work Exchange Programme.