New Zealand Embassy Madrid, Spain

How to apply for a Student Visa

Spanish citizens wishing to study for up to three months

If you are a Spanish citizen who intends to study one course in New Zealand for up to three months, you do not need to apply for a visa before travelling. However on arrival in New Zealand you must:

  • hold a valid return or outward ticket to a country where you have the right of entry
  • be able to show that you have sufficient money to support yourself during your stay ($NZ3000/Eur1500)(cash, travellers cheques or credit cards will be accepted)
  • hold a passport valid for three months past the date you plan to leave New Zealand
  • stay in New Zealand only for the length of time granted on arrival

If you are a Spanish citizen and you are intending to study full time in New Zealand for more than three months, you must apply for a Student Visa before you depart.

You can check the requirements and download the Student Visa application form from the Immigration New Zealand website

Health Requirements

Spanish citizens who intend to be in New Zealand for more than six months must complete a Temporary Entry X-Ray Certificate (NZIS 1096) with an approved NZIS Panel Radiologist.

Spanish citizens who intend to be in New Zealand for more than 12 months must complete a Medical and X-Ray Certificate (NZIS 1007) with an approved NZIS Panel Doctor.

For a list of NZIS approved Panel Doctors, please refer to Immigration New Zealand website.

You should deliver or courier your completed application form for a Student Visa, all other documents to:

New Zealand Visa Application Centre
TT Visa Services Ltd
Burwood House
14-16 Caxton Street
Phone: +4+44 203 582 7499

Processing time: Please check with the New Zealand Visa Application Centre.

Travel Insurance

All travellers to New Zealand should purchase their own travel insurance. If you are injured in an accident in New Zealand, you may need the help of ACC, the Accident Compensation Commission. ACC injury cover is not an alternative to travel, medical or income protection insurance. ACC does not cover illness or reimburse you for loss of income or treatment costs in your home country. For more information, visit the website of the Accident Compensation Commission.


Of interest

United Nations Handbook 2015-16

United Nations Handbook

The UN Handbook is a comprehensive guide to the UN system and how it works.  Read more

Prime Minister's media release |

New Zealand wins Security Council seat

New Zealand has secured a place on the UN Security Council for 2015-16. Read the Prime Minister's media release

Registering your overseas travel made easier

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealanders travelling or living overseas, registering your travel online now made easier. Read more

The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal

News about how the donations are contributing to the rebuild, ways to donate and more.