New Zealand Embassy Madrid, Spain

Travel to or through the United States using an Emergency Travel Document

New US Policy requires that all Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) be electronic passports and include an electronic chip. New Zealand ETDs are machine-readable but do not contain a chip. ETD holders will be required to apply for a visa if travelling to or transiting through the United States.
DIA advise that from July 1 all holders of New Zealand ETDs travelling to or transiting through the USA will require a non-immigrant Visa Class B1 or B2 from the USA authorities. USA Customs and Border Protection may exercise discretion at ports of entry if travel is for medical or other emergency reasons but travellers on ETDs without the appropriate visa could be detained for further processing and/or denied admission.

B1 and B2 visa applications will need to be made at closest Embassy of United States where the New Zealand ETD application submitted.

If you need further information, please refer to the following websites:

Of interest

United Nations Handbook 2015-16

United Nations Handbook

The UN Handbook is a comprehensive guide to the UN system and how it works.  Read more

Prime Minister's media release |

New Zealand wins Security Council seat

New Zealand has secured a place on the UN Security Council for 2015-16. Read the Prime Minister's media release

Registering your overseas travel made easier

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealanders travelling or living overseas, registering your travel online now made easier. Read more

The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal

News about how the donations are contributing to the rebuild, ways to donate and more.