New Zealand Embassy Madrid, Spain
Help in an emergency
The New Zealand Embassy in Madrid is able to provide assistance and guidance to any New Zealand citizen in Spain who is in serious distress. (For example, if you have been involved in an accident, hospitalised, arrested or detained, or lost your passport.)
New Zealand citizens in an emergency or seriously distressing situation should telephone: (+34) 91 523 0226
What assistance is available?
Staff at the New Zealand Embassy in Madrid can
- give you guidance when in trouble with the primary aim of helping you to help yourself
- help arrange for the issue of a replacement Emergency Travel Document (for example if your passport has been lost or stolen).
- help you to contact relatives or friends back home to arrange a money transfer, if you get into financial difficulties.
- provide you with a list of English speaking lawyers in the case of detention or arrest and help you contact family and friends.
Staff at the NZ Embassy in Madrid cannot
- pay your hotel, travel or other bills, bail or medical expenses.
- help you with arrangements which could be handled by local organisations, eg banks, lawyers, travel agents, undertakers.
- give you legal advice or get you out of prison.
- get you better conditions in prison or hospital than a local national would receive.
- give you a loan, other than in a real emergency and only after consultation with family and friends in New Zealand.
- trace missing persons or investigate a crime. These are police matters.
- operate a personal mail service for you.
For detailed information on the assistance that is available to New Zealand travellers abroad, we recommend you also visit the Safe Travel website.