New Zealand Embassy Madrid, Spain
Lost or stolen New Zealand passports
Passport Services, Department of Internal Affairs is responsible for issuing and renewing New Zealand passports.
The New Zealand Embassy in Madrid can only issue Emergency Travel Documents (ETD) in genuine emergency situations. This service may take up to three working days.
To apply for an Emergency Travel Document in Spain you will need to come to the New Zealand Embassy in Madrid:
New Zealand Embassy
Pinar, 7, 3
TEL: 915 230 226
FAX: 915 230 171
September to June
Monday - Friday
09.00 - 14.00 and 15.00 - 17.30
July and August
Monday to Friday
08.30 - 16.30
Emergency Travel Document application forms are also available at the New Zealand Honorary Consulate in Barcelona:
Honorary Consulate to New Zealand
Travesera de Gracia 64, 2
Tel: 932 090 399
Fax: 932 020 890
September to July
Monday to Friday: 9am - 2pm and 4pm - 5.30pm
Monday to Friday: 9am - 2pm
There is no New Zealand Embassy in Portugal. If you are in Portugal and you have lost your passport you will need to contact the New Zealand Embassy in Paris.
Below you will find a step-by-step guide in the event your New Zealand passport is lost or stolen.
1. Have you lost your New Zealand passport or has it been stolen?
You will need to report the loss/theft immediately to the local police and obtain a police report (this is called a "denuncia" in Spanish), and then follow the process specified in paragraph 2. Some hotels in spain have police report application forms in English available for their clients. To make police reports in English over the phone, please dial 902 102 112 (24 hour hotline). A police report is necessary not only to apply for a replacement travel document but also for any travel insurance claims.
2. What type of travel document do you need to apply for?
- If you plan to return home immediately, you will need to apply for an Emergency Travel Document (please go to paragraph 3)
- If you plan to travel extensively through Europe or to remain in Spain, you will need to apply for a replacement passport (please go to paragraph 4)
- If you had a UK visa in your lost/stolen passport, please go to paragraph 5.
3. Applying for an emergency travel document (ETD)
Providing your completed application and fee payment are in order, an ETD can be issued within three working days. You will need to provide:
- ETD application form duly filled in your own handwriting, which can be downloaded from the New Zealand Department of Internal Affairs website. Please, read and follow the instructions carefully;
- A copy of the police report;
- Two identical uncut passport-size photographs (please read instructions on ETD application form carefully); and
- The fee: Euros 205 (adult or child).
The New Zealand Embassy in Madrid is currently unable to accept payments for Emergency Travel Documents or other services.
New Zealand has ETD issuing offices in Ankara, Berlin, Brussels, The Hague, Moscow, Paris and Rome. Click here for contact details.
You may wish to send a faxed copy of (a) and (b) to expedite the process. However, generally we cannot begin the ETD issuance process until we have received the original copies of all 4.
Applicants should allow 3 working days for the issuance of the ETD and are advised to postpone/cancel plane/train tickects booked for the next day. It is illegal to cross borders without a valid travel document. Only under exceptional circumstances (i.e. if the person appears at the Embassy with all 4 documents can an ETD be issued overnight).
4. Applying for a replacement passport.
The New Zealand Embassy in Madrid does not issue passports. If you wish to obtain a replacement passport, please go to Passports New Zealand website and click on the option "Passport application from to be lodged in the UK". Download the application form, read the instructions carefully before filling in, and then send the completed form to:
London SW1Y 4TQ
London Passports Office number for all customers +44 207 968 2730
5. Lost/Stolen passports containing UK visas.