How to apply for a student visa
Citizens of Sweden only need apply for a student visa if they wish to study as an exchange student or for longer than 3 months. Otherwise they do not need a visa.
Applicants permanently resident in Sweden should send their completed visa application forms to the NZ Embassy in The Hague, The Netherlands.
If you are applying for a student visa through the NZ Embassy The Hague, you must send all of the following:
- A completed application form for a student visa signed by the applicant
- A valid passport or travel document for each person included in the application (valid for at least 3 months beyond the date you plan to leave New Zealand)
- Proof of funds: click here for requirements as they differ for study of less or more than 36 weeks. If your proof of funds is being guaranteed for study of more than 36 weeks, your guarantor will need to complete and sign a financial undertaking form and ensure their bank verifies that they hold funds. A letter from your parents is not an acceptable proof of funds
- For study of less than 36 weeks: equivalent of NZ$ 1000 per month or fraction of a month in personal credit cards, travellers cheques, cash, deposit on a New Zealand bank or with the Institution in the case of young students. (A letter from parents is not/not acceptable proof)
- Proof of a place at an educational institution in the form of a written and signed Offer of place from the institution to an international student
- An enrolment/application receipt from the school or evidence of exemption from course fees (notice of award of a full or fees scholarship/recognised exchange scheme)
- Proof of English knowledge for university study
- Evidence of arrangements to leave New Zealand: click here for requirements
- A recent passport sized photograph attached to the application form
- The fees
- Students and their dependents who are staying in New Zealand longer than 6 months may need to provide a Temporary Entry X-Ray Certificate (children under 11 years of age are not require to undergo a X-Ray)
- Students and their dependents who are staying in New Zealand longer than 12 months must provide medical certificates, once the applicant knows they have been accepted by an institution/school)
- Students whose course is longer than 24 months or are staying in New Zealand longer than 24 months must provide police clearance certificates from their countries of residence and citizenship. Translations into English should be attached
Students staying in New Zealand less than 2 years should also arrange private medical insurance including accident and hospital cover for the entire stay.
Once the complete documentation and the fees have been received please calculate 3 working weeks in order to get the visa.
The application form for a Student Visa (NZIS 1012) may be downloaded from the website of the New Zealand Immigration Service.
Residents of Sweden should send their completed forms to:
New Zealand Embassy The Hague
2517KK The Hague
Tel: 0031-70-365 8037
Fax: 0031-70-363 2983
2517KK The Hague