New Zealand General Election
The New Zealand General Election will be held on Saturday 20 September 2014.
For the first time, in 2014, eligible voters will be able to vote electronically through the elections NZ website at www.elections.org.nz.
In addition, the New Zealand Embassy in Abu Dhabi will also be open for voting from Wednesday 03 September until Thursday 18 September 2014 from 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM during working days. Closing time on the last day of voting will be 4:00 PM.
Who can enroll and vote
You are eligible to enrol and vote if you:
• are 18 years or older, and
• have lived in New Zealand for more than one year continuously at some time in your life, and
• are a New Zealand citizen who has been in New Zealand at any point in the past three years, or
• are a permanent resident of New Zealand who has been in New Zealand at any point in the past 12 months.
(NB: There are exceptions to these time limits for certain people and their families, such as members of the New Zealand Defence Force or New Zealand diplomats or trade representatives.)
How to Enroll
Check or update your enrolment details here [link to https://enrol.elections.org.nz/app/enrol/#/ ].
You will need to be enrolled at the address you last lived in New Zealand for one month or more.
How to Vote
You can vote from overseas from 3 September 2014.
You can obtain your voting papers in one of the following ways:
Download your voting papers
If you are overseas and are on the published electoral roll you will be able to download your voting papers. This is the quickest and easiest way to obtain your voting papers. The voting paper will be available for download at www.elections.org.nz from 3 September.
Apply for a postal vote
You can apply to have voting papers posted to you by contacting the Electoral Commission at http://www.elections.org.nz/contact-electoral-commission .
These are normally sent from New Zealand approximately three weeks before Election Day.
Vote in person at an overseas post
You will be able to vote in person at some overseas posts from 3 September. The location of overseas posts will be available at www.elections.org.nz.
How to return your voting papers
1. You can scan or photograph your voting papers and upload them to the Electoral Commission’s website at www.elections.org.nz no later than 7pm (NZ time) on Election Day.
2. Fax your voting papers to the Electoral Commission (+64 4 494 2300) no later than 7pm on Election Day.
3. Post or courier voting papers to the Electoral Commission, PO Box 3220, Wellington. Voting papers returned to the Electoral Commission in Wellington must be postmarked no later than 18 September and received no later than 12 noon Wednesday 24 September.
4. Deliver your voting papers to an overseas post no later than 4pm (local time) Friday 19 September (some posts may close earlier so please check with your nearest post for their closing time).
If you have any further questions about enrolling or voting from overseas please email the Electoral Commission on firstname.lastname@example.org or call (from outside of New Zealand) +64 9 909 4182.