New Zealand High Commission London, United Kingdom
Consular Assistance and Information
The High Commission can provide assistance and guidance to any New Zealander in serious distress - for example, if you have been involved in an accident, been hospitalised, arrested or detained, or there has been a death.
However there are limits to what we can do. More information and advice on a range of issues can be found on www.safetravel.govt.nz
Please note that if you have dual citizenship you may not be entitled to emergency assistance, for example if you have entered the UK on your British passport.
The High Commission can:
- give advice, with the aim of helping you to help yourself
- help you contact relatives or friends to request emergency funds
- provide a list of local lawyers, and help you contact family and friends, if you are detained or arrested
- help you contact family, friends and your insurer if you are ill or injured
- help with arrangements following a death overseas
- help during crises, such as civil unrest and natural disasters
The High Commission cannot:
- pay your hotel, travel or other bills, legal or medical expenses, or costs of returning a body to New Zealand
- give you legal advice, investigate a crime or get you out of prison
- get you better conditions in prison or hospital than a local citizen would receive
- provide you with financial assistance, except in a real emergency and subject to very strict conditions
- operate a personal mail service for you or store your belongings
- become involved in civil disputes
- Trace missing persons or investigate a crime. These are police matters.
Emergency assistance in the United Kingdom
If you are a New Zealand citizen who is here in the United Kingdom on your New Zealand passport and need emergency assistance or advice call either the switchboard or the Consular line:
+44 (0)20 7930 8422 - switchboard
+44 (0)20 7316 8989 - consular emergencies ONLY during business hours
After UK business hours, call the High Commission switchboard and follow the recorded instructions.
+44 (0)20 7930 8422
Emergency Passport assistance after hours is provided by the London Passport Office
+ 44 (0)20 7968 2730 and follow the recorded instructions
The High Commission can also answer some questions and give you contact details for enquiries relating to New Zealand government services, excluding immigration and passports.
Immigration and Visas to New Zealand
Please refer to www.immigration.govt.nz
Phone within the UK: 09069 100 100 (national callers please note: calls cost £1.00 per minute)
Phone from outside the UK: +44 1344 71 61 99 (normal toll charges apply)
Visa Application Centre
Please refer to www.ttsnzvisa.com
Phone within the UK: 020 3582 7499
Visas for other countries
You should check with your travel agent or with the Embassy or High Commissions of the countries you intend to visit or transit to find out their visa / entry requirements, and if you need to apply for a visa. We cannot provide this information.
New Zealand Passports
For all passport queries please refer to the London Passports Office page of this website
Phone: 020 7968 2730
Safe Travel is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade website designed for New Zealanders who are travelling or living overseas. You will find:
- travel advisories for specific destinations, with up-to-date information on security risks
- news features
- traveller’s checklist to help you plan your journey
- registration facility where you can log your travel plans in case you need to be contacted in an emergency
- Information on what steps you can take when things go wrong
- assistance or advice the New Zealand Government can provide on overseas adoptions, child abductions, internet fraud and scams