New Zealand High Commission London, United Kingdom

Marrying in the UK

New Zealanders coming to the United Kingdom to get married or for a civil partnership – whether to another New Zealander or any other nationality – must obtain a visa before arriving.

The 6 month tourist visa waiver scheme does not apply in this instance.

The type of visa you need to apply for depends on your situation –

  • If you want to come to the UK to get married or register a civil partnership, and you and your partner intend to leave the country within 6 months, you can apply for a visa as a visitor for marriage or civil partnership.  More info on is on the offiical UK government marriage visitor visa page.
  • If you want to live in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership ceremony, you cannot come here as a visitor.   More information is on the official UK government marriage for foreign nationals page.

New rules from 02 March 2015

Both you and your partner must give at least 28 days’ notice at a designated register office in England and Wales. You can only give notice if you have both lived in England and Wales for at least 7 days.

More information is available on the UK government's official website.

The process is a bit different in Scotland and Northern Ireland. See the links below for more information:

Certificate of No Impediment to a Marriage

If you are getting married anywhere outside of New Zealand, it is important that you contact the marriage authorities in the country where you plan to marry and check their laws and requirements.  Many countries need a document stating that you are legally able to marry.

For New Zealand citizens getting married overseas, a ‘Certificate of No Impediment to a Marriage’ may be required.  This can be applied for through the Department of Internal Affairs' Births, Deaths and Marriages service.  Application forms and further information can be found on the Department of Internal Affairs' website.

Births Deaths and Marriages can be contacted at:

PO Box 10 526
Wellington 6143
New Zealand
Tel:  +64 (0)4 463 9362
Fax: +64 (0)4 382 3613

Apostille and Authentication of documents

For marriages overseas, foreign documents may need to be authenticated.  For information on the authentication process, visit the section on documentation authentication under 'services' on the Department of Internal Affairs website.

To check the requirements, contact the relevant authorities in the country concerned or their overseas representative to see what they will accept.  The process varies depending on the document type and country requirements.

Recognition of your marriage overseas

Your marriage should be registered in the country where it took place. There is no legal obligation to register your overseas marriage in New Zealand.  More information can be found on the Department of Internal Affairs' website.


Of interest

United Nations Handbook 2015-16

United Nations Handbook

The UN Handbook is a comprehensive guide to the UN system and how it works.  Read more

Prime Minister's media release |

New Zealand wins Security Council seat

New Zealand has secured a place on the UN Security Council for 2015-16. Read the Prime Minister's media release

Registering your overseas travel made easier

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealanders travelling or living overseas, registering your travel online now made easier. Read more

Remembering World War I
100 Years On

Be part of the first World War Centenary. Read more

The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal

News about how the donations are contributing to the rebuild, ways to donate and more.

Events Noticeboard

New Zealand related United Kingdom event listings. Read more