New Zealand High Commission London, United Kingdom

Copy of criminal record

If a New Zealander is convicted of a crime In New Zealand, a criminal record is created. This is the New Zealand equivalent of a ‘police clearance certificate’, ‘police record’, ‘police file’, ‘police check’ or ‘criminal check’.

If you are asked for any of these, a copy of your criminal record from the Ministry of Justice should meet the requirements. If you have no convictions, you will receive a letter stating that is the case.

How to apply

To obtain a copy of your criminal record, go to

Click on ‘Criminal Records’ under the ‘Services’ tab of this website.

There are two options. 

  • You may request a copy of your own criminal record.
  • You may request authorisation for a third party (e.g. an employer or insurance agency) to view your criminal record. 

Either request needs to be completed, signed by the applicant and accompanied by a suitable form of identification such as a valid drivers’ licence or passport.  A photocopy is acceptable. 

If you are overseas, the completed form and the identification can either be

If the check is for a visa application to travel overseas or apply for citizenship in another country, you need to attach a coversheet stating you will require the result to be on original letterhead with ink signature.

For the third kind of application, ‘Request by Third Party (Section 19 Exception to Criminal Records (Clean Slate) Act 2004’ you will need to apply to the New Zealand Ministry of Justice in writing to obtain the application form. This is only necessary under unusual circumstances, so please check the details on the website to see if you require this.

Obtaining a Police Clearance Certificate from the United Kingdom

The United Kingdom does not issue Police Clearance Certificates. Under UK law you cannot apply for a DBS/Disclosure and Barring Service check (previously CRB/Criminal Records Bureau check), but others can make an application on your behalf. If you require a police clearance for working purposes, you can arrange for your employer to make an application on your behalf.

If you need to make an application yourself, you can apply for what is called ‘subject access’. This is where you request access to information held by the police about yourself. For London you can find full information and download the form from the Metropolitian Police or contact your local police station.

For other parts of Britain go to your local police force website, or contact your local police station.

Of interest

United Nations Handbook 2015-16

United Nations Handbook

The UN Handbook is a comprehensive guide to the UN system and how it works.  Read more

Prime Minister's media release |

New Zealand wins Security Council seat

New Zealand has secured a place on the UN Security Council for 2015-16. Read the Prime Minister's media release

Registering your overseas travel made easier

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealanders travelling or living overseas, registering your travel online now made easier. Read more

Remembering World War I
100 Years On

Be part of the first World War Centenary. Read more

The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal

News about how the donations are contributing to the rebuild, ways to donate and more.

Events Noticeboard

New Zealand related United Kingdom event listings. Read more