New Zealand High Commission London, United Kingdom
Flight Disruptions over the Holiday Season
Flights over the holiday season may be disrupted for any number of reasons, from weather related airport closures to unexpected airline or maintenance issues.
New Zealanders planning on travelling from airports in the United Kingdom and Ireland are advised to check with their airline before going to the airport. Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted airports all report that they are open as of 0900 on Monday 20 December, however further disruption to flights is possible as airlines work to clear the back log of stranded travellers and with warnings from the Met Office of further severe weather conditions.
Advice for New Zealand travellers:
- Contact your airline or travel agent directly to check whether your particular flights have been affected. Air New Zealand have updates for travellers on their website, and their call centre can be contacted from the UK on 0800 028 4149.
- Stay in contact with your airline / travel agent for rebooking options.
- Contact your travel insurer to check what policy provisions apply for travel disruption and what exclusions may exist.
- Keep receipts for accommodation and additional expenses incurred to submit with your travel insurance claim.
- Keep your family informed of your situation and wellbeing.
- Check the date your entry visa is due to expire and if need be, seek an extension at the immigration office of the country you are visiting.
- Consider alternative travel arrangements – travel by ferry, train or bus.
- If you are running low on funds and are not covered by insurance, you will need to ask family / friends to transfer money to you or top up your credit card.
- Register your details with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade so we know where you are should we need to make contact in an emergency.