New Zealand High Commission London, United Kingdom

Social Security Agreement between NZ and UK

The United Kingdom and New Zealand are signatories to a bilateral Social Security Agreement that includes both benefits and pensions. You may be entitled to these if you are a New Zealand citizen in the United Kingdom or a British citizen in New Zealand.

Retirement Pensions

You may qualify for United Kingdom benefits or pensions under the social security agreement. Your entitlement to a New Zealand benefit or pension or your New Zealand residence can help you meet the residential/contribution criteria for United Kingdom benefits and pensions.

If you did not receive New Zealand Superannuation before leaving New Zealand and you would like the period of your New Zealand residence to be taken into account when applying for a United Kingdom benefit or pension, you will need to provide evidence of that time.

Further information can be found on the Work and Income New Zealand website.


If you are receiving income support in New Zealand and are moving to the United Kingdom to live you need to contact Work and Income six weeks before you leave.

You can't take your payments with you, but you may be able to get payments from the Department for Work and Pensions in the United Kingdom.  You’ll need to show evidence of your time in New Zealand, and you must apply when you get there. Remember that the Department for Work and Pensions in the UK decide who can get UK benefits and pensions and how much will be paid.

If you are in receiving income support in New Zealand and are travelling to the UK on holiday, you also need to contact Work and Income before you leave.  Please note that Work and Income liaise closely with New Zealand Customs.  If you do not contact them before leaving NZ, your payments may stop the day after you leave. 
Further information can be found at Work and Income on the webpage Going Overseas or Moving to New Zealand.

Authorities to contact 

The International Pension Centre in the United Kingdom decides who can receive United Kingdom benefits and pensions and how much will be paid.   Work and Income in New Zealand decides who can receive a New Zealand benefit or pension and how much will be paid.  It is administered by the Ministry of Social Development.

United Kingdom

Further information about the agreement between the UK and New Zealand can be found through the Department for Work and Pensions website.

International Pension Centre
Phone: 0191 218 7777
Fax: 0191 218 7021
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

The Pension Service 11
Mail Handling Site A 
Wolverhampton WV98 1LW
United Kingdom

More detailed information can be found on these websites:
Claim Benefits Abroad and State Pension Abroad

New Zealand

Work and Income produces a guide produces a guide for people living in the United Kingdom regarding the social services and pension agreements. 

For general enquiries please contact:

International Services

Work and Income
Ministry of Social Development
PO Box 27-178
Wellington 6141
Ph:   + 64 4 978 1180

Fax: + 64 4 918 0159

Of interest

United Nations Handbook 2015-16

United Nations Handbook

The UN Handbook is a comprehensive guide to the UN system and how it works.  Read more

Prime Minister's media release |

New Zealand wins Security Council seat

New Zealand has secured a place on the UN Security Council for 2015-16. Read the Prime Minister's media release

Registering your overseas travel made easier

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealanders travelling or living overseas, registering your travel online now made easier. Read more

Remembering World War I
100 Years On

Be part of the first World War Centenary. Read more

The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal

News about how the donations are contributing to the rebuild, ways to donate and more.

Events Noticeboard

New Zealand related United Kingdom event listings. Read more