New Zealand High Commission London, United Kingdom

UK Visas

Visas for the United Kingdom

The UK Border Agency (UKBA) has been replaced by UKVI and Border Force.
UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) is responsible for making the decision about who has the right to visit or stay in the UK
Border Force is the frontline law enforcement command of the Home Office responsible for immigration and customs control.

UKVI Home Page   

These webpages provide details on whether you need a visa to come to the United Kingdom, entering the UK, and immigration appeals.
UK Visas and Immigration
A-Z of Visa options 
Entering the UK
Appeal against a decision

UKVI Enquiries
Phone within the UK: 0300 123 2241
Call charges apply – see the website for details
Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4:45pm / Friday, 9am to 4.30pm

UKVI Citizenship and Nationality Enquiries - for applications submitted more than 6 months ago:
Phone within the UK: 0300 123 2253

Please note the following important information:

  • The United Kingdom authorities determine the conditions under which New Zealand passport holders may enter the UK. 
  • It is your responsibility to ensure that you comply with entry requirements for the United Kingdom.
  • Failure to meet these requirements could result in you being refused entry and returned to New Zealand or your last point of embarkation.
  • The New Zealand High Commission cannot interfere in this decision.  We have no authority or ability to influence the decisions made by the Border Force or Border Force officers, or make representations on an individual's behalf. 

New Zealand passport holders may generally enter the UK for six (6) months without a visa on a visa waiver if they are here for a holiday.  However, you will still need to satisfy a Border Force officer when you arrive that you meet the requirements of your visitor category, and aren’t in the UK for any other purpose.

And whilst New Zealander's generally do not need a visa before entering the UK on holiday, there are circumstances when you may need to obtain one before you travel.

For example, if you have a criminal record or you have previously been refused permission to enter the UK. 

You will need a visa if you want to come here in some categories of visitor, such as a visitor for marriage or civil partnership.  

To live, study and work in the UK you must obtain the necessary visa before you arrive in the country.

These visas can only be applied for from your country of residence; this will likely be New Zealand for most New Zealanders.  

How to contact the UKVI from outside the UK Website or contact your nearest UK Embassy or High Commission - a directory of these is listed on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.

For further information within New Zealand, you can contact the British High Commission in Wellington

Transferring your visa to a new passport

Neither the High Commission nor the New Zealand Department of Internal Affairs Passports Office has any authority to transfer a UK visa from an old passport to a new one.  This can only be done by the UKVI. 
There are new rules and you may need to apply for a biometric residence permit (BRP) instead.  More information can be found on the Transfer Visa webpage or Biometric Residence Permits
these websites:

Visa advice for other countries

The New Zealand High Commission is not able to advise you of the visa requirements for other countries.

You should contact the embassy of the country you wish to travel to in order to confirm whether a visa is required.  The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office website has a list of foreign embassies based in the United Kingdom.  

Of interest

United Nations Handbook 2015-16

United Nations Handbook

The UN Handbook is a comprehensive guide to the UN system and how it works.  Read more

Prime Minister's media release |

New Zealand wins Security Council seat

New Zealand has secured a place on the UN Security Council for 2015-16. Read the Prime Minister's media release

Registering your overseas travel made easier

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealanders travelling or living overseas, registering your travel online now made easier. Read more

Remembering World War I
100 Years On

Be part of the first World War Centenary. Read more

The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal

News about how the donations are contributing to the rebuild, ways to donate and more.

Events Noticeboard

New Zealand related United Kingdom event listings. Read more