Permanent Mission to the United Nations, New York
Congressional Liaison Officer New Zealand Embassy Washington DC (LES)
The Congressional Liaison Officer is responsible for facilitating and strengthening the Embassy's relations with the United States Congress, by
- assisting in the promotion of New Zealand's interests in the United States
- providing policy advice in terms of reporting,
- running and organising official visits and
- supplying briefing material
A key focus for the role is to develop and maintain strong links with Capitol Hill through:
- identifying priority members of the House and Senate (and their staffers) with links to or interests in New Zealand, particularly in relation to TPP negotiations.
- Planning and executing regular calls on congressional offices for the Ambassador and Embassy Staff.
- maintaining excellent relationships with staff of the Leaders of the Friends of New Zealand Caucus.
This role will require strong networking and inter-personal skills, an ability to self-start and the required experience in constituency building and outreach activities. A sound knowledge of New Zealand political, trade and economic policy particularly in relation to the United States is essential. Knowledge of US Government and legislative processes including the operation of Congress would be an advantage.
The application form, cover letter, and CV will complete your application. Please forward your application to email@example.com
Applications close: 5:00pm Monday 20 May 2013.
Only direct applications will be reviewed. The application form, and a covering letter of no more than two pages, setting out why you are applying for the position and examples of how you meet the job criteria together with a non-returnable CV should be emailed to HRSrecruitment@mfat.govt.nz
Please forward questions to Alicia Odering, Human Resources Adviser, Alicia.Odering@mfat.govt.nz
You must be a New Zealand citizen and be able to obtain and maintain an appropriate New Zealand Government security clearance.
- Congressional Liaison Officer New Zealand Embassy Washington DC (LES) | Position Description (PDF 71kb)
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade carries a list of all job vacancies in Wellington and at its overseas posts.