New Zealand Embassy Washington, United States of America

Paying US Social Security

If you intend to work in the U.S. you will generally be expected to pay Social security taxes. Under normal circumstances Social Security payments are available to persons who have worked for ten years in the U.S. and have reached the age of 65 (reduced benefits are available from age 62 and younger people need fewer credits to qualify for disability or survivors benefits). These rules will also apply to you should you decide to remain in the U.S. when you retire, or when you receive disability or survivors benefits.

However, if you move outside the U.S. when you retire or are in receipt of disability or survivors benefits, and you have remained a New Zealand citizen, your Social Security payments can only continue if you return to the U.S. every six months for a period of one calendar month. In addition, you may be required to establish lawful presence in the U.S. for that full calendar month period. For more information you may contact the nearest Social Security office or consult the Social Security website.

Of interest

Elections for the United Nations Security Council

Elections for the United Nations Security Council

New Zealand is a candidate for election to the UNSC for the two-year term 2015-16. Read more

United Nations Handbook 2013-14

United Nations Handbook

The UN
Handbook is a comprehensive guide to the UN system and how it works.  Read more

Registering your overseas travel made easier

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealanders travelling or living overseas, registering your travel online now made easier. Read more

The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal

News about how the donations are contributing to the rebuild, ways to donate and more.

Registering your overseas travel made easier

New Zealand General Election 2014

The New Zealand General Election will be held on Saturday 20 September 2014. Read more