Showcasing New Zealand to the United States: The 2013 New Zealand Pacific Partnership Forum and "New Zealand Week"
The NZ/US Pacific Partnership Forum and associated 'New Zealand Week' activities are taking place in Washington and Los Angeles from 19 – 24 May. This is an opportunity to deepen our political relationship with the US at all levels; promote our unique culture, food and cuisine; and discuss issues of importance for the Asia-Pacific and beyond.
Washington DC-Los Angeles 19-23 May 2013
"New Zealand Week is the largest showcase of the US/NZ bilateral relationship ever undertaken. It's going to be a ground-breaking set of events – showcasing Kiwi ideas, enterprise, food, culture and film and drawing people from all walks of life interested in the bilateral relationship. I'm particularly excited about the Future Partners programme – which will inject a new generation's energy and ideas into proceedings." Rt Hon Mike Moore, New Zealand Ambassador to the United States.
The week-long series of events is a truly ‘NZ Inc’ programme and will include:
- The US-NZ Pacific Partnership Forum - including Future Partners
- A ‘Taste of New Zealand’ promotional event
- On-going performances from the NZDF Kapa Haka group and band
- A photographic exhibition detailing the history of the Haka in New Zealand
An immersion week for key New Zealand companies.
In Los Angeles
- New Zealand short film evening on the Paramount film lot
- Doing business in Los Angeles – seminar
An infrastructure tour of Los Angeles Ports.
The Partnership Forum
The fifth US-NZ Pacific Partnership Forum, to be held in Washington DC on May 19 – 21, will bring together more than 250 game-changing thought leaders from US and NZ government, business, the media and non-profit organizations in a global dialogue. The Forum has been refreshed and rebranded to focus on dynamic conversations around ‘what next’ in the evolving and diverse NZ-US relationship.
The Forum is being run by the US NZ Council and full programme details, including online registration, are on their website.
With a strong focus on business and public policy in the Asia Pacific region, it will combine innovative presentations, dynamic discussions, and outstanding networking opportunities.
"New Zealand Week" Washington DC and Los Angeles
From 19-23 May, the New Zealand Embassy in Washington and the New Zealand Consulate-General in Los Angeles will be staging a ‘New Zealand Week’ showcasing our cuisine, Māori culture, film, and business ‘smarts’ and innovation. An integral part of the Partnership Forum, ‘New Zealand Week’ aims to:
Showcase New Zealand’s unique culture, creativity, innovation, and promote a deeper understanding of New Zealand as a vibrant and sophisticated society amongst influential US decision makers.
"New Zealand" week will have several programme elements. In Washington these include:
- Māori culture: the RNZAF Kapa Haka group will be performing at the Partnership Forum, as well as taking part in public outreach events, and a school visit. See the promotional flyer here [PDF 3.7MB].
- The HAKA! exhibition, a display of historical photos, and videos of recent award-winning Kapa Haka performances will be displayed at the Partnership Forum venue (Grand Hyatt Washington). See the promotional flyer here [PDF 150KB].
- The Air Force Band will perform, both at the Forum and in a number of public events over the week.See the promotional flyer here [PDF 3.7MB].
- A ‘Taste of New Zealand’ reception at the Embassy (Mon 20 May), will offer key US interlocutors a chance to sample the best of New Zealand food and beverage, prepared by the Embassy’s award-winning chef. Celebrity chef Matt Lambert of New York’s ‘Musket Room’ restaurant will also be at the event to promote our cuisine.
All of these activities will be promoted to the US media in order to boost the profile of New Zealand.
In Los Angeles, core elements of the "New Zealand Week" programme are:
- New Zealand short film evening at Paramount Studios, an event that will mix film, food, Kapa Haka and networking opportunities.
- Business in Los Angeles seminar: Century City Hyatt Regency
- An infrastructure tour of Los Angeles Ports to showcase the advanced technology of the port facilities and the opportunities for New Zealand exporters.
20 young talented New Zealanders (selected by a panel comprising Fulbright NZ, NZ-US Council, US Embassy and MFAT) will attend the Partnership Forum as 'Future Partners' to caucus with American counterparts. The Future Partners programme is a component of the Partnership Forum and its purpose is to enable a diverse group of emerging American and New Zealand leaders to participate fully and contribute actively to the discussion in the Partnership Forum. Their participation will encourage diversity of view and new thinking at the event, as well as assist a new generation of leadership to develop interest in global issues and in the NZ-US relationship, and gain new insights and connections.
New Zealand Trade and Enterprise Mission
NZTE is bringing a trade delegation in the form of its annual "Immersion Programme" which will bring together NZ businesses and US contacts in the defence/security sector. This is an exciting opportunity for companies to meet with key US public sector agencies and showcase their products.