New Zealand High Commission Port Vila, Vanuatu
What we can and cannot do
Staff at the New Zealand High Commission can help you if you get into difficulties in Vanuatu, but there are some limitations.
- give you guidance when in trouble with the primary aim of helping you to help yourself.
- assist in cases of emergency; serious illness or death, and inform next-of-kin.
- help arrange for the issue of a replacement passport (for example if yours is lost or stolen).
- help you to contact relatives or friends back home to arrange a money transfer, if you get into financial difficulties.
- provide you with a list of English speaking lawyers in the case of detention or arrest and help you contact family and friends.
- pay your hotel, travel or other bills, bail, medical expenses or departure tax.
- help you with arrangements which could be handled by local organisations, eg banks, lawyers, travel agents, undertakers.
- give you legal advice or get you out of prison.
- get you better conditions in prison or hospital than a local national would receive.
- give you a loan, other than in a real emergency and only after consultation with family and friends in New Zealand.
- trace missing persons or investigate a crime. These are police matters.
- operate a personal mail service for you.
For assistance please contact the Consular Officer:
Tel: 00 678 22933
Fax: 00 678 22518