New Zealand High Commission Port Vila, Vanuatu
Basket blong Sapotem KommunitiKAMAP
The Basket blong Sapotem KomunitiKAMAP (BSK), formerly 'Small Projects Scheme', is a flexible fund that provides resources from the New Zealand Aid Programme to help Ni-Vanuatu communities find solutions to their development needs. The New Zealand High Commission (NZHC) manages the BSK, and NZHC staff work with Vanuatu Government to appraise applications.
The application form and information has been designed as a practical guide to help you apply for funding to benefit your community. It includes background information about the scheme and its objectives; suggestions for how to make sure your project will work; and more detailed information to help you fill out your application.
The fund is open to communities, Non-Governmental Organisations and Government Departments. Community based groups, women's groups, youth and church groups and other associations can also apply. Grants between VT700,000 (approximately NZ$9,800) and VT4,000,000 (approximately NZ$56,000) are available for development activities in the following focus areas agreed by the New Zealand Government and the Vanuatu Government. Support can be for short term projects or those up to three years in duration.
- Good Governance: To encourage wider participation in civil society and decision making to enhance the accountability, effeciency and effectiveness of all levels of government;
- Economic Development: To enhance income-generating opportunities for Ni-Vanuatu, particularly in rural areas;
- Education: To promote educational opportunities, particularly Pri-Skul (preschool) and vocational education;
- Environment: To promote good environmental practices and disaster risk reduction inititatives;
- Primary Health: To promote a healthy population that can contribute to Vanuatu's development;
- Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment: To advance equality between women and men and empower women;
- Youth: To support youth activities that can increase economic opportunities, promote life skills and better health including less STI's (sexually transmitted infections), reduce substance abuse and crime.
Projects must meet the following requirements:
- Projects must be related to economic growth, social development and/or poverty reduction.
- Projects must be developed through a consultative process.
- Projects must receive endorsement from local, provincial and central Governments.
- Projects must minimise conflicts of interests i.e. projects that benefit the individual more than a community. If the applicant of the proposal will benefit, this must be declared.
- Projects must be developed outside any political parties.
- Projects must be supported with 2-3 quotes where the cost of a single item is over 100,000 vatu (approximately NZ$1,400)
- Proposals must originate from Vanuatu based agencies/communities. Overseas agencies and other overseas NGO's cannot apply but their support may be requested by Vanuatu based agencies.
Applicants must use the BSK application form, which is available on request from Wesley Jerethy, Development Programme Coordinator, on telephone number 22933 or email: Wesley.Jerethy@orange.mfat.govt.nz